Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2016 Prius - Uk Prices And Specs

FROSTYBALLS

Technologically advanced it may be but that is becoming one expensive little family car

post-140480-0-53690100-1446830988_thumb.

Suppose as it is firmly positioned as Toyota's hybrid in the Avensis sector, they had to price it above the Auris hybrid (£20,045-£24,395).

No mention of having a spare wheel???

or (unless I missed it) 4 wheel drive that was mentioned in the original launch material

Space saver spare is standard on Active & Business editions with 15" alloys with a repair kit being and FOC Option which if chosen gives a bigger boot than model with the wheel fitted, the boot with wheel fitted is bigger than Gen3 though.

Business Plus and Excel models with 17" wheel have the tyre repair kit and the larger boot only.

I can't believe the PiP will have greater range and a spare wheel, so I'll probably wait to see what the Tesla Model III is like

I can't believe the PiP will have greater range and a spare wheel, so I'll probably wait to see what the Tesla Model III is like

Putting the Battery under the rear seat rather than boot floor has probably enabled this.

Think how much better the range would be if they done this and still done away with the spare for a bigger Battery :)

I harp back to the 2007 Prius my old firm sent for a 3rd party conversion by a small firm - despite it having a range of almost 40 miles, they still fitted the space saver under the boot floor.

Funnily enough I was just starting to think maybe I'd soon revise my views on spare wheels, having only had one puncture in my current Prius in nearly 50,000 miles.

Until yesterday, when a week after having my winter tyres put back on one of them picked up a nail in the shoulder. And it will take 7 days to get a matching Nokian replacement!

The thought of running for a week with the space saver on and 3 winter tyres didn't appeal, so I got my dealer to put the summer tyres back on. They'll do another swap next week when the Nokian arrives!

Hmm - just 4,500 miles out of it!

Next summer should see out my original tyres - I'm thinking of getting all seasons when they go, and buying a 5th full size alloy and matching tyre. Once the winters have worn out, if I still have the current Prius I'll order the under boot arrangement for a full size 15" wheel (apparently some markets still require a full size spare!) [not a cheap option at about £800 for a wheel, tyre and the replacement trays etc]. Then I'll see if a PiP or Prius with sunroof power wants to buy my space saver.

What mileage have your original tyres done out of interest Pete? I'm assuming mine are still the original as the car only had 12k on it when I collected it 18 months ago, and I'm at about 34k on these currently. I suspect I'll get about another 6k before changing the 4 at the same time (I rotate each time I do a winter to summer wheel swap). Not too unhappy if I get 40k miles to a set of rubber.

What mileage have your original tyres done out of interest Pete?...

I replace mine at or slightly before they reach 3mm. I don't rotate as such, when the fronts get to 3mm, I buy 2 new ones which go on the rear, then the rears go on the front.

In fact, I'm on my second set of 'main' tyres:

• original Bridgestone B220s lasted 20 & 29k respectively

• replacements (Dunlop Sport BluResponse) now all at 4mm and done 23 & 14½k respectively

My Nokian WR D3 winter tyres did 4½k last winter (4 months) and all have about 7mm remaining.

My Mk 1 'Classic' Prius had 5 full size alloys, so each time I bought new tyres, a new one went in the boot and the current spare came into play.

I've met a couple of tyre scientists over the years who both said that the rubber compound starts to deteriorate once a tyre reaches 5 years old which is another reason I hate space savers (but not as much as I hate not having any spare!) (ok I know they work for tyre companies who have a vested interest).

I remember an old British Leyland car I had in the 1970s had new cross ply tyres because the sidewalls had cracked and an mot tester deemed them unsafe! (I'm sure the compound mix has improved a lot since then though).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links