Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2007 Avensis options

HenrysDad

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some advice.  I am needing to get a new car after my 04 Mazda 6 rusted away.  I am currently looking at two 2007 Avensis.  One is a 2.2 D-4D T180 with 125k on the clock. The other is a T3-X 2.0 with 74k on the speedo but a note in the service history that an engine replacement was done by Toyota at 47k miles.  Both have FSH and appear in very good condition with no noticeable noises of any concern.  The 2.2 is being advertised at £2900, while the 2.0 is on at £3800.  I am not mechanically minded so have checked what I can and there is nothing obvious.  Clutch and steering both appear, to my untrained eye, fine and I have read that these can be problem areas.  I'll need to travel 200 miles for the 2.2, and 2 miles for the 2.0 but cannot make my mind up!

Any help in making a decision would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

welcome to the forum, :smile:

2.0 petrol or diesel?

Thanks for the welcome!  Both are diesel.

You should be aware of the head/head gasket issue that can affect a small % of the AD series diesels but it's a very expensive issue to fix if it  does occur (I suspect that this is why the 2.0 had a replacement engine) - more than the car will be worth. The problem is that you can't really tell which ones will develop it until they start showing signs.

We believe that the problem is more prone as power increases so the T180 may be more prone. Also, the T180 will be thirstier & has a DPF which will be expensive to replace when it goes, the 2.0 probably doesn't.

How about a 1.8 petrol? Unless you are doing the mileage for the fuel cost saving to be a no-brainer running any modern common rail turbo-diesel out of warranty is a bit of a gamble.

Sadly, I'm a little stuck between a rock and a hard and a hard place.  I need an estate and I need one quickly (the death of the Mazda was a little unexpected).  These two seem to be the best of the bunch at the moment.  It sounds a little like you're thinking the 2.0 might be the better option? (it said next to the stamp something about the egr valve).

How long/what road conditions for your normal trips? what is your annual mileage?

Fist thing to ask, is the 2.2 cheap or is the 2.0 dear?. If the 2.2 is cheap ask yourself why, the number of cars with the head gasket problem I think is quite small, the 2.0 has apparently been sorted possibly for this issue?, if the price is right my choice would be the 2.0 as it should now not be troubled with the head gasket problem as I understand the replacement engine will be modified to avoid the problem.

• Like 2

there have been replacement engines that have gone again though ...

3 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

there have been replacement engines that have gone again though ...

Life can be unkind and if it's not your day anything goes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links