Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Top Gear

FROSTYBALLS

I watched. Thought it was rubbish. Mind you, when you're at the bottom the only way is up. 

It was... weird.

The show is basically the same; The format, the intro, the writing, the films etc... it's just that... Chris Evans is *such* an annoying ******!

I said all along they need to do their own thing and not try to emulate the old one and pretend to be Clarkson... but that's exactly what Chris Evans was doing, and worse with the addition of that sickening over-chirpyness he does that would probably have been okay on Top Gear USA but not on ours! He just can't pull off Clarkson's style... it comes off as a really bad YouTube parody.

I think they should make it more like the way they used to do the BBC F1, and make Rory Reid as the main slightly-planky presenter, and keep the others as more interesting people he hands off to for their own little skits, as well as acting as a neutral mediator for 'banter'. When he was 'interviewing' Sabine and Chris.E in the Extra Top Gear, it felt less annoying so I reckon that could work for me.

Ugh, but I just really really hate Chris Evans and this is not helping... If they keep him on as the main guy he needs to tone himself down majorly because I have this strong urge to punch him in his chirpy smiley face every time he speaks!

I hadn't really credited how much Clarkson and co knew about cars until I was watching Chris Evans and Chris Harris try to review cars while driving them... they basically don't know anything and don't have the skill or experience to talk naturally while driving like the others did.

They also need to work on the actual meat of the show; The car choices they made were pretty awful and uninspiring, and their attempts to make it interesting with stupid 'challenges' shows how much they don't understand the format of the show in the way Clarkson et al. did it.

I didn't want to be too judgemental since it is the first show - It will take time to bed in I imagine, and *could* get better... but right now it's both not very entertaining and quite cringe-worthy...

• 4 weeks later...

4 episodes in, I'm out. I feel I'm forcing myself to watch them now and that ain't how it should be...

I didn't realise how much I watched the old Top Gear for the stupid banter between the three of them; They were like 3 mates having a goof around, but this lot just... ugh... I don't know what it is but the only two people I don't find annoying are Joey and the Stig.

I watched the first episode and that was enough for me. I will be watching The Grand Tour (otherwise known as TG2) on Amazon.

Let us know what you think of it when it's out! I am also curious...

I have watched all of them bar the week before last, but last week's one is the final straw for me. I must be the only one who likes Chris Evans, but the format doesn't suit him. If they did Top Gear like TFI Friday then it'd be brilliant, but the format is wrong for who's presenting it.

There's too many presenters. The bald guy's voice goes through me, and the young YouToober does my nut in. He was waxing lyrical about a £30k Ford Focus saying it was a much better car than a similar Honda Civic, and dared compare the Focus ST to a Porsche? Mate, I'd sooner spend £20k on an old Porsche than £30k on a glorified family car.

Matt Le Blanc's alright, he's genuinely funny and needs a proper foil. Eddie Jordan maybe?

But, as much as I dislike the new Top Gear, there's no way in hell I'm watching "The Grand Tour". I can't forgive Clarkson for what he said to the producer, and there's no way I'm going to pay £80 to Amazon to watch it. I've been there before with Prime and it was an absolute waste of money.

It's Fifth Gear for me from now on.

It's gone from top gear to flop gear and now missing gear ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think its gone into reverse gear ....

As Martin Brundle would say: "A box full of neutrals"

Like all things its run its course

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links