Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel filter flow and return pipe location

frankie406

Can anyone show which pipes are the flow and return from filter to engine?I had the filter off awhile back and was full of slime (diesel bug).I opened the tank via the sender unit but it's baffled and can't clean it so was think of sucking the fuel out through the fuel lines to also rid the bug from there too.I need to then get a biocide to keep it from reforming. (2006 T25 pre-face lift 1cd-ftv)

How many pipes do you have on your fuel filter? 

I'm sure there's 4 on it Tom?  I'm away from home working but by the diagram on the service bulletin looks like 4.

So that would be TSB EG 6016 I suppose, put up an image if you can. Fuel IN line should be self evident, the one down the back coming from the tank. There should also be an arrow for the main fuel OUT line to the LP side (feed pump) of the injection pump.

There will be a feed pump return line coming back into the filter. I thought your injector leak off pipe ran straight back to the tank, might be wrong. I know on some cars the leak off goes through a cooler before it gets to the tank because the fuel gets pretty hot. 

You’re not going to flush out the injection pump, the injectors and the common rail are you?  

• Like 1

I'm running a diesel purge through it on the injection and on the fuel return to tank I'm just using clean diesel with a biocide in it to kill the diesel bug.I will post a pic up tomorrow when I get home.

Thanks for your input Tom much appreciated. 

• 1 month later...

Tom..sorry for not getting back about this post.I had a look at the filter today and looks as if it has only two pipes a flow from tank into filter then from filter into the injection side?

20160719_164327.jpg

That's the best pic I could get but 1 pipe is at the back of the filter.

OK Frank, if you've only got two pipes on the filter then one is in and one is out! I thought maybe you had one of the multi-sprout filters on yours.

Avensis D4D Fuel Filter.png

• Like 1

To be honest Tom I thought I had multi pipes too.I had it out not long ago to put a new filter on and thought it had more than two....any ideas how I would be able to do the purge on this type.I only can find the multi type on YouTube. 

Found another hose below the filter but not going into it.runs to the left hand side of the filter into engine/fuel pump.maybe this is the fuel return as the hose has fuel printed on it?

6 minutes ago, frankie406 said:

Found another hose below the filter but not going into it.runs to the left hand side of the filter into engine/fuel pump.maybe this is the fuel return as the hose has fuel printed on it?

I'm not familiar with the exact layout on your car Frank but I'd say that will be the fuel return line from the engine, a single combi line from the Engine Driven Pump (I don't like calling it the Injection Pump because it's in two parts the Feed (low pressure) and the Supply (high pressure) side and it can get confusing which side is being referred to). So the EDP, the Fuel Rail and the Injector Leak Off all return fuel and typically get combined to save separate pipes. 

• Like 1

Great Tom. I'll check it out better hopefully at the weekend. I'll hook it up to the diagnostic tool and check the injection trims before and after the purge..thanks again Tom! 

2 hours ago, frankie406 said:

To be honest Tom I thought I had multi pipes too.I had it out not long ago to put a new filter on and thought it had more than two....any ideas how I would be able to do the purge on this type.I only can find the multi type on YouTube. 

If you've got bad fuel contamination I'd look at draining and discarding all the fuel in the system. Whatsup did somebody sell you some white diesel that used to be a different colour? Run a load of the 'oul red or green stuff through a barrel of used kitty litter, add some stuff out of Asda and flog it down the boozer. No, of course not Frankie :biggrin:,  

As far as purging the filter if you get some diesel ready with biocide pre-mixed in it then take the filter element off, empty it out and refit it. Attach a hose from the filter inlet into the fuel / biocide container and use the black priming bulb to suck it through the filter and keep going for a while.  

• Like 1

Lol.no no definitely not dirty diesel.the car has been sitting unused for nearly a year. The last fill of diesel was sainsbury's fuel. (Missus bought it). The car was getting harder to start pulled the filter and was completely plugged with a slime.I need to suckling old fuel out and put the biocide in and fresh clean BP fuel.

Just a quick question Frank, do you have an electric pump in the tank of your car?

Just a fuel sender unit I think.

OK thought as much, but there will be a fuel strainer in the tank which you'll need to clean out.

I heard of someone who fitted a Mondeo electric fuel pump to a RAV 4 to cure a cold starting problem. I think he had an air leak somewhere in his system so it was leaking in overnight and in the morning and he had to crank and crank and then some more cranking to get the pigging thing to go. 

Cleaned the fuel sender out too Tom. The tank would have to be dropped to get it cleaned but I'm just going to flow fuel in and out of it until it's clean then the biocide to kill off remaining bug.I've a bit of work to do on it before I can get back on the road. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links