Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Could do with some 'quick' advice please

Dannyh9

Hi all,

car has gone bang and I need a new one asap as we are going away on Friday! Decided it's between the RAV and a CRV but I prefer the RAV. 

The only issue is the potential Diesel engine failure issues that affected some cars. It scares me as I can't afford to lose 6/7k on a family car and lose it all! 

Is there a cut off date for the affected engines for instance 2009? Is the SR180 engine also affected? ( there is a nice one available locally  I'm just worried that it could have been thrashed) 

i'd like a RAV but as it will be our main family car (2 small kids and a dog) I need to have confidence in the purchase!

thank you for any advice offered it is very much appreciated.

The first post of the following thread provides some detail on which models/engines were affected - bear in mind that the dates are 'production dates', rather than first registration dates. It is thought that only a small percentage were affected. A Toyota dealer should be able to confirm whether a vehicle has had a replacement, modified engine.

Thank you for this I have already read it and it's a great post. Is it possible to find out when an engine was produced? I'm supposed to look at a couple of 09 rav's this pm but one was registered in Feb 09 and the other in March! 

I'm thinking I can't take such a gamble with £7000 when I know there could be a fault so I think I'm going for the CRV. Thanks for your response! 

Bear in mind that Rav's are built in Japan - so it is likely that cars first registered in Feb and Mar 09 may still be in the affected models. A Toyota dealer may be able to provide the production dates of the vehicles from the VIN. Aside from that Toyota still currently have an offer of 2 years for the price of 1 on their extended warranty, which would provide some peace of mind.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links