Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Transmission belt tensioner?

Alexandru Edward

Hello everyone. First of all, sorry for my bad English, I'm from Romania. I have a problem with my Avensis III facelift from 2013. 

A strange noise was coming from transmission belt area. I thought it may be only the belt, so i changed it. 

The sound before I changed it: 

The sound after change: 

At the dealership, they told me that the belt was the problem and I need a new one. It seems like not the belt was the problem. Maybe it's the tensioner? the alternator pulley? I don't know.

Now they think maybe and most likely, it's the tensioner or the alternator pulley. But I don't want to change them both and the sound may be still present.

I watched all the pulleys with the engine running, they seems to run normal.

The souns only appears when I'm in the 3rd or 4th gear and the rpm are pretty low, like 1200 or 1300 and I rev it hard.

Thanks a lot !

Welcome!

I can't hear anything in the first video, but to me the second video sounds like a belt slipping. I'm not familiar with your engine. How many drive belts do you have on there? Have you checked them all?

At only 3 years old, I would have thought they should still have some life left in them yet, so I would put it down to either incorrect tension or possibly the wrong width belt (too narrow) used and the grooves misaligned - i.e the belt aligned with the right side of one pulley, and the left side of another.

Assuming the correct belts have been used, and they are tensioned properly, then there is a spray you can buy to apply to the inside of the belts. I know it as "Belt Dressing" It is designed to make the belts more sticky and less likely to slip and squeal. Example on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ambersil-30257-Belt-Dressing-400/dp/B014IPEHQK

If you spray the belts with this and the noise stops then you know it is the belts at fault.

Who fitted the belt was it Toyota using a genuine part or someone else with an OE part?

4 hours ago, garethpaul said:

Welcome!

I can't hear anything in the first video, but to me the second video sounds like a belt slipping. I'm not familiar with your engine. How many drive belts do you have on there? Have you checked them all?

At only 3 years old, I would have thought they should still have some life left in them yet, so I would put it down to either incorrect tension or possibly the wrong width belt (too narrow) used and the grooves misaligned - i.e the belt aligned with the right side of one pulley, and the left side of another.

Assuming the correct belts have been used, and they are tensioned properly, then there is a spray you can buy to apply to the inside of the belts. I know it as "Belt Dressing" It is designed to make the belts more sticky and less likely to slip and squeal. Example on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ambersil-30257-Belt-Dressing-400/dp/B014IPEHQK

If you spray the belts with this and the noise stops then you know it is the belts at fault.

Thanks. In first video there is a sound, it starts at 0:05. I only have this belt, my timing is on chain. The old belt is making noise in the first video. In the second, it's the new belt from GATES. So, the souns it's still present even with a brand new belt....

25 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Who fitted the belt was it Toyota using a genuine part or someone else with an OE part?

Someone else with OE part. But my car was making noise even with the first genuine belt from Toyota.

The old belt was is great shape, no cracks and nothing when I changed it.

The noise is a atypical of a faulty Aux belt this is a known issue on 1AD 2.0 Diesels fitted to Auris, Avensis, Corolla & Verso and there is a TSB ref 

EG-0014T-0114

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may experience and report squeaking noise from BELT, V-RIBBED around 1500~2000rpm, due to slipping of the belt on the pulleys.

PRODUCTION CHANGE The design of the BELT, V-RIBBED has been changed to avoid slipping.

PARTS INFORMATION

Previous part number 90916-02724

Current part number 90916-02736 

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Check the ''TENSIONER ASSY, V-RIBBED BELT'' after disassembling the BELT, V-RIBBED according to the repair manual.

2. In case of abnormality of the ''TENSIONER ASSY, V-RIBBED BELT'', replace it. If no abnormality is present, then do not replace.

3. Only replace the BELT, V-RIBBED according to the repair manual.

Toyota redesigned the belt to stop the issue, as this a Toyota fix the OE suppliers will not know of the modification and will supply a belt of the original design and not the modified type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

The noise is a atypical of a faulty Aux belt this is a known issue on 1AD 2.0 Diesels fitted to Auris, Avensis, Corolla & Verso and there is a TSB ref 

EG-0014T-0114

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may experience and report squeaking noise from BELT, V-RIBBED around 1500~2000rpm, due to slipping of the belt on the pulleys.

PRODUCTION CHANGE The design of the BELT, V-RIBBED has been changed to avoid slipping.

PARTS INFORMATION

Previous part number 90916-02724

Current part number 90916-02736 

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Check the ''TENSIONER ASSY, V-RIBBED BELT'' after disassembling the BELT, V-RIBBED according to the repair manual.

2. In case of abnormality of the ''TENSIONER ASSY, V-RIBBED BELT'', replace it. If no abnormality is present, then do not replace.

3. Only replace the BELT, V-RIBBED according to the repair manual.

Toyota redesigned the belt to stop the issue, as this a Toyota fix the OE suppliers will not know of the modification and will supply a belt of the original design and not the modified type.

Thanks a lot! I think that's the problem. I'm going to purchase the new belt and see if the sound dissapears.

Thank you again !

Like the other guy said, replace the belt whit new genuine toyota belt because it have been redesignet!

• 5 years later...
On 9/3/2016 at 1:08 AM, Alexandru Edward said:

Thanks a lot! I think that's the problem. I'm going to purchase the new belt and see if the sound dissapears.

Thank you again !

Hi, I have similar problem, so I am wondering if original belt fix this problem.

Thanks a lot.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links