Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 t180 starting issues - video included - pls help

TheSpud01

So I have had some issues previously with my RAV4 t180 2006 not wanting to start. Had to change Battery. Fixed the issue then the starter failed. Replaced that and still gave starter style issues intermittently (a clunk and no crank when tying to start). This then cleared up itself maybe the new starter wore in. 

Today I did school run and all was well. An hour later the misses went to head to the shops and encountered a kinda fire and then fail with a loud fan noise for as long as the clutch remained depressed. 

Please see videos for an example of exactly the noises. 

My mechanic thinks it may be an ignition problem but has not seen car yet. 

I have tried swapping ign relay with another one and also priming fuel pump to see if any differences. There are none. Battery seems fine. Lights don't dip or anything.

please help

Video 1

Video 2

Sounds to me like the starter is spinning without being engaged in the flywheel.  As you replaced the starter, and still had issues (clunk and no crank when trying to start), I suspect a problem with the flywheel teeth.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links