Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart Key Programming

nedlack

Hi All,

My girlfriend has lost the button part of my 15 reg Auris TS - she still has the thin key bit, but not the bit with the lock/unlock buttons. I have been quoted £260 for a replacement as supposedly you cant just buy the buttons!

I have found the part on eBay which i need but i am struggling to find how to programme the new buttons to my car... the problem being it is a push to start system and all the guide on the internet start with putting the key in the ignition!

Has anyone successfully programmed a new key on a car with a push to start system?

Thanks

Ned

OK, nobody else having replied in almost a whole day, let me tell you what I understand the score to be with our keyless entry and start system. 

It isn't as 'simple' as for a car with simple push-button remote central (un)locking - and an "ignition key". 

"The buttons" are normally called the 'fob'. 

Programming an absolutely brand new 'virgin' fob to the car isn't a big job, but without Toyota software, may not be possible for third parties. The programming (without supplying the new fob) might be a minimum charge (£50?) job at a dealer. 

ADDED - If you want to investigate DIY further, then an important keyword is Techstream, which is Toyota's car-programming & diagnostic software. However I believe that the only copies in the wild are unauthorised bootlegs, and ALL the usual warnings apply. 

There are two quite distinct parts to pairing with another fob. Dealing with the keyless entry system (which includes pushbutton unlocking) and dealing with the immobiliser. 

Unfortunately programming the car to accept a second-hand fob (that has been setup for another car) is a much harder matter. I understand that involves a full wipe and reinstall of the car's electronic control unit ("ECU") software. This is a bigger and AFAIK Toyota-only job, and consequently not normally economically sensible. ADDED - It is going to involve Techstream, the software package to load and re-setting whatever parameters after installation, as well as pairing the keyfobs -- I have no thought of going there! 

You may wish to go through every single pocket of every garment (and handbag) in the house before buying another fob. 

The big takeaway message is that those fobs are things that need looking after more carefully than a mobile phone or tablet. Because they are small and you can't 'bleep' the fobs to find them, it is well worth investing in an electronic 'keyfinder' system, or if not then conspicuous and probably bulky tags to attach to the things. 

I wanted to have a spare (third) fob, so looked into this a bit, but I haven't invested in one yet ... 

I believe that cutting spare keys (to physically unlock the car only) is much more straightforward. 

As always, I stand to be corrected if anyone knows better! 

Edited by Beekeeper D
Additions as noted

2 hours ago, eygo said:

That eBay listing is for an SBB v33.02. Other eBay vendors describe that same unit as a "Universal Remote Programmer for 1998-2009 Multi-Brands car" and the compatibility listing that I found online does NOT include the Toyota Auris. 

Do you know if that particular thing definitely works with the 2014 Auris system? 

Car-keys-online dot com (UK tyneside? based) sell the BA7EQ keyfobs new for just under £100+vat and claim they can be programmed by independents, so I guess there must be tools like this that can do the job. Not sure I'd want to invest in a tool on the off-chance I might get it to work without immobilising my car! It is after all a matter of programming the car to accept the key, rather than programming anything within the actual key... 

• 1 year later...

I contacted the Toyota dealer where I purchased the car and am taking it in tomorrow for them to reprogramme the fob. 

Thanks to all who replied. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links