Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2010 RAV4 2.2 d-cat auto vs 2.0 v-matic

Rallyslag3

Hi, I have just sold my 2005 petrol manual 3door RAV4 xtr.

I am looking at buying either a 2010 2.2 d-cat 6 speed auto, or a 2010 2.0 petrol v-matic 7 speed auto (£10,000 budget)

I had the last rav for 4.5 years, I loved it. I needed something a bit bigger, plus I want to be able to tow my rally car and trailer (1500kg) .

My father has a 2011 2.2 d-cat 6 speed auto and I have driven it and it's great, he did say it uses a little bit of oil.

My mother has a 2003 2.0 petrol auto 4 speed , I also have think it's great to drive .

I do short journeys most days , but then a few longer drives at the weekend and some times in the week. 

I have had diesel cars in the past and I am aware of dpf regen etc, but I don't think it's a problem for me (we have a 2013 diesel skoda too) 

does any one have any experience of owning either of the 2010 models mentioned? 

Whats the real mpg like?

is the 2010 d-cat still the type of engine with piston or head gasket problems?

whats the petrol like at towing that sort of weight?

also what do you call a RAV4 of that age? 4.3? 

Any other problems associated with this shape rav? 

Cheers 

To be honest, even if you do the mileage, I'd still stay away from a diesel.

I have the DCat SR 2011 auto and the auto Regen did not work for me and it went into limp mode 100 miles from home !!!! In the end and luckily for me Toyota managed to do a forced Regen, if that did not work, I was looking at a bill of £800+.

The mpg is absolutely awful, not matter how I drive, I'm lucky to get 30 mpg.

Go for the petrol, cleaner, less noise and better mpg and diesels are constantly getting bad publicity and it's bound to affect the resale value and people's perception of diesels.

No matter what feedback you get, it's up to you in the end.

Good luck.

A RAV4 from 2010 would be the 4.3 'facelift' version sometimes described as a 4.3.5.

I don't tow so can't comment with authority but would suspect the diesel to be the better tractor.

In defence of the diesel ... a 2010 2.2 d-cat 6 speed auto would have the 150 bhp engine that was introduced from 2009 and that doesn't suffer from the problems encountered engines manufactured between 2006 and 2008/9. And, although the fuel economy of the 2010 diesel auto is disappointing, it is still better than the corresponding VVTi petrol auto!

The D-CATs do have a DPF and benefit from a decent run about once a week to ensure that the regen gets completed - lots and lots of short runs are not a good idea.

Talking from experience, there is NOTHING in the 4.3 that tells you that a Regen has started or finished ( I have written confirmation of this from Toyota GB).

So you just have to hope you get the timing right and it starts and finishes before you turn off the engine .....or you could get the issue I went through.

There is a visual confirmation that a Regen has been done and that's noticing an occasional plume of blue smoke in your rear view mirror, this was a concern to me until I found out what it was ..Or you have put the wrong fuel in or your car needs a serious service !!!

Hope this helps.

A diesel rav is considerably heavier than the petrol version and towing 1500kg you would be towing almost 100% of the vehicle weight of a petrol. 

I tow a 1500kg caravan with my diesel rav and haven't had any problems. 

Cool. Thanks every one for taking the time to reply. 

I am viewing one of each in the morning 

With regard to DPF regeneration, herewith a useful ink

http://www.dpfcleanse.co.uk/unblock-dpf-guide.html

Worked for me. I had low fuel consumption on my 2.2 DCAT. It improved after following the link's instructions indicating a less restrictive DPF than beforehand.

Well I just bought a cracking 2011 2.2 d-cat 6 speed auto xt-r and I love it, 

it was a pleasure on the 3.5 hour drive home. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links