Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001 RAV4 D4 engine limp mode

Geof85

Hello all, 

I'm new to this forum, but I'm having an issue with my 2001 RAV4. It seems to be going into some kind of limp mode where I am unable to accelerate and the check engine light comes on. If I turn off the engine and wait for 10 seconds, then start it the check engine light disappears and the car drives nirmally. It's just started occurring and only when I'm at a stop or idling in traffic. Any help would be greatly appreciated . 

I took a video of the gushes if anyone would like to see, just send me a private message with your email and I'll shoot it over. Thanks again. 

If the CEL was lit, the fault code(s) will be in memory.  You should read the codes to get a starting point for diagnosis.

Is it a diesel, if so I suggest you either park up and in neutral give it a burst of high revs and perhaps wait for black smoke or when driving drop from high gear to lower when accelerating to get high revs. It may sound odd but I had exactly the same problem and spent about £400 replacing parts to no avail. Good luck.

It's a petrol engine.  I will get the codes scanned and post them. Thanks guys.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links