Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Used petrol Avensis touring advice

Willss

Hi,

New to the forum but not to Toyotas - although browsed very extensively!

Currently have a 2014 Auris estate 1.6 petrol manual.  Really like it but, would like a larger boot space (floor area as I appreciate volume is similar between the 2) and the higher spec found in an Avensis so looking to get an Avensis as our 'family' car.  

Due to low mileage and lack of fast roads will be going for petrol (1.8 manual) rather than diesel.  Budget wise will be looking at about a 15/65 plate.  

• Can people tell me if it is worth going for the 2015 updated version or if the pre 2015 is just as good.  In theory it appears the mpg of the tweaked version is better than the earlier one but does this show in reality?  
  • Seems like reliability is good for the later 1.8 petrols anyone suggest anything to look out for/be aware of for the future?
  • Is the lower mpg in the Avensis, versus the auris, worth sacrificing for the extra comfort?
  • Final question........!  Is the Avensis being updated or discontinued in the near future, there seems to be 2 lines of thought but no evidence to support either view?!!!

Many thanks for any help that people can offer, particularly regarding the pre/post 2015 version.

Will

Hi Will, welcome to the forum :smile:

You might actually struggle to find a recent Avensis1.8 manual Tourer - when I looked at Toyota's used listing recently there were only 2 1.8 Tourer under 2 years old & they were both CVTs. The main market for cars like the Avensis is for companies/fleets & they are usually looking at the mpg & overall cost of ownership where diesel for the last few years has been the winner.

The 2 potential issues are developing cracks on the front doors by the hinges & restrictor stay & the EPB (although I am beginning to think that at least for later cars the bogie of it is worse than the actual reality).

Only Toyota know the exact plan for the Avensis but it is in a dying sector & it's already gone past Toyota's normal replacement cycle. I don't think that there will be a direct like for like replacement.

• Like 1

Thanks for quick reply.

Local(ish) dealership have a choice of 3 ex fleet 2015 1.8 manuals so for change there are some available to me.  As you say vast majority are fleet and therefore diesel. The few petrols that are sold privately seem to rarely change hands so agree that availability is usually very very rare.

Thanks for flagging hinges and brakes, had been warned by a relative on them!  I understand what you say about likely lack of a like for like replacement although what made me wonder was an image I saw of a claimed avensis on a website showing huge bodywork changes (sleeker) and a statement saying Oct' 17 release.......???

Any views from anyone on pre/post 2015 Avensis pros/cons?  Also whether for a low mileage user like myself wanting space and comfort (and nothing too sporty!!!) should be considering the petrol tourer?

Thanks

Will

Toyota were supposed to be considering their position in the D market sector at the end of 2016. Whether the Avensis has a direct replacement or whether Toyota consider 'doing a Qashqai' (which replaced both the Almera and Primera) with the C-HR, and possibly bringing the Corolla saloon (which has the same size wheelbase as the Avensis, and is larger than the Auris) is open to question.

The Prius is the hybrid offering in this market segment.

22 hours ago, Willss said:

Any views from anyone on pre/post 2015 Avensis pros/cons?  Also whether for a low mileage user like myself wanting space and comfort (and nothing too sporty!!!) should be considering the petrol tourer?

I can't compare to the 2015 facelift (which supposedly is quite improved from mine) to an Auris but against the 2012 imo you can tell that you are in a car from a class above.

I have long said that whilst the Auris TS theoretically has a max. load volume greater than the Avensis TS the Avensis load space is the more practical/usable (longer, wider etc.) with the difference I imagine coming from space gained by a more upright tailgate.

Thanks both.  The quality of finish and spec' of the Avensis certainly trumps the Auris.  When you sit in the Avensis it is a class above.  That said I'm erring towards holding fire on getting one.  The extra load space on the floor of the Avensis would be useful but probably not worth the outlay of getting a 2nd large car - may just have to pack more carefully/higher! 

May wait and see if there are some big discounts on new in the short to medium term when the inevitable upgrade or end of production of the Avensis occurs. The ones currently available are ex lease/hire with high mileages - not an automatic no go for me but as I'm in no rush I'll see what else comes up.

CHR looks interesting and a step forwards for Toyota but put a buggy in the boot and there's not a lot of space left!

I owned a 2010/60 plate 1.8 Petrol Avensis TR Tourer for 4 years and last January bought my current vehicle. It is quite definitely superior to my previous tourer but I don't know how it compares with the current model. The petrol Avensis tourers are certainly rarer than the diesels. I spent several months trawling the various on-line used car sites until I found what I wanted. Mine was a year and 9 months old with just over 20K miles and I paid a shade under £11,000. I wasn't concerned about the mileage as I do so little and I plan to keep it for some years to come. It's in immaculate condition and I couldn't be happier with it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Wolf said:

I owned a 2010/60 plate 1.8 Petrol Avensis TR Tourer for 4 years and last January bought my current vehicle. It is quite definitely superior to my previous tourer but I don't know how it compares with the current model. The petrol Avensis tourers are certainly rarer than the diesels. I spent several months trawling the various on-line used car sites until I found what I wanted. Mine was a year and 9 months old with just over 20K miles and I paid a shade under £11,000. I wasn't concerned about the mileage as I do so little and I plan to keep it for some years to come. It's in immaculate condition and I couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks for that.  The ones I've seen have done about 30k and are £10.5-£11k at just under 2 years so sounds about right then.  Need to decide whether to get one like that (seem good value) or get a new one for about £8,000+ more.  Looking at Business edition as seems best value. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Willss said:

Thank you all for your comments.  I appreciate those with issues are more likely to make a noise than happy customers!  It is a car I plan to keep for 10yrs so am trying to be as well informed as possible before purchase!  It seems on the 1.8petrol this and the safety sense system are the only 2 really regular issues (plus door hinge although I'd hope that had been sorted on current production cars).

On 3/20/2017 at 11:07 AM, Willss said:

Thanks for that.  The ones I've seen have done about 30k and are £10.5-£11k at just under 2 years so sounds about right then.  Need to decide whether to get one like that (seem good value) or get a new one for about £8,000+ more.  Looking at Business edition as seems best value. 

Hi Will, I noticed you have an Auris Touring, then checked your posts and found the reason you wanted an Avensis. My reason is for this reply is to ask a couple of questions about your current car, to compare with what I know about my Avensis. Also if I was to replace my car, the Auris TS Hybrid and petrol manual (used) would be on my list. 

First question is what is the gearing like on your current car at 70mph? My Avensis show 2500-2600 rpm in 6th, which is fairly relaxed for a natural aspirated petrol. If you test drive a 1.8 you can do a back to back comparison, plus note the engine response, the torque, and the noise levels.  

Can I assume you have looked for an Auris which has had the optional features, standard on the Avensis?

The rear seat head/leg room space is huge on the Avensis. Is the Auris Touring as roomy?   

I have a full size alloy spare wheel, because I used the space saver once on the rear and hated it. The full size was handy when I had another puncture and had to wait an extra day for the correct tyre. The tools and jack are in a bag with the spare wheel - the polystyrene tool hold does not fit with a spare wheel. I still have the lower storage compartments.

As I mentioned before in one of your posts, my car is a very early example, so will have all the teething problems - including door cracks. I am happy with it the car overall and if I bought a later version, I would get a higher spec than my TR to have the power folding mirrors. The engine is very good on oil too!

Last year I did a back to back between a T25 and T27 (both TR), and it was close. Now if I had a 2012 or later, the result would be wider in favour of the later car. 

I like to hear your thoughts and comparisons.

Konrad

8 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Hi Will, I noticed you have an Auris Touring, then checked your posts and found the reason you wanted an Avensis. My reason is for this reply is to ask a couple of questions about your current car, to compare with what I know about my Avensis. Also if I was to replace my car, the Auris TS Hybrid and petrol manual (used) would be on my list. 

First question is what is the gearing like on your current car at 70mph? My Avensis show 2500-2600 rpm in 6th, which is fairly relaxed for a natural aspirated petrol. If you test drive a 1.8 you can do a back to back comparison, plus note the engine response, the torque, and the noise levels.  

Can I assume you have looked for an Auris which has had the optional features, standard on the Avensis?

The rear seat head/leg room space is huge on the Avensis. Is the Auris Touring as roomy?   

I have a full size alloy spare wheel, because I used the space saver once on the rear and hated it. The full size was handy when I had another puncture and had to wait an extra day for the correct tyre. The tools and jack are in a bag with the spare wheel - the polystyrene tool hold does not fit with a spare wheel. I still have the lower storage compartments.

As I mentioned before in one of your posts, my car is a very early example, so will have all the teething problems - including door cracks. I am happy with it the car overall and if I bought a later version, I would get a higher spec than my TR to have the power folding mirrors. The engine is very good on oil too!

Last year I did a back to back between a T25 and T27 (both TR), and it was close. Now if I had a 2012 or later, the result would be wider in favour of the later car. 

I like to hear your thoughts and comparisons.

Konrad

Actually have 2 auris tourers..... long story!  A 14 plate from new (pre reg) and a 64 plate bought at a year old (were going to get a hatchback but the estate was cheaper at the time as a load of ex fleet had been released driving prices right down (£9.5k at 11 months (Icon spec')).  Really great cars (hence we got the 2nd one).  Comfortable smooth, decent space and no major issues to date.  We went for the 1.6 manual petrol as decided the 1.2 was 'untested' at the time we were looking and quite a lot more expensive - there were very good deals on the 1.6!  1.6 is much more economical than expected.  With climate always on and with brim to brim calculations and driving on rural roads (mostly 5-15 mile journeys) the car has done 44.4mpg over the whole winter (about 4k miles).  On a decent run we can genuinely get high 50s (55-57mpg) far exceeding expectations.

My issue is that we can not get a child seat behind the drivers seat when I'm driving (6ft 1"). Otherwise probably wouldn't be looking to swap.  Have yet to drive current Avensis but having sat in current (diesel) version there is a significant gulf in equipment, feel of quality (e.g. fabia vs superb) and space.  My wife is 5'4" and her knees are on the back of drivers seat when sat in rear of auris.  Have a space saver wheel in the car we bought new and a pot of useless stuff in the other (wheel can be carried in either car if we're going on a long trip and my wife says she would call me to change a wheel anyway)!

Will consider a hybrid auris as our 2nd car in a few years but hope to run the original auris tourer for years, best car I've owned - people say they are boring but I love driving it, smooth quiet, does exactly what you ask it to.  2nd one has more rattles, a slightly iffier clutch and generally doesn't please in the same way which is weird as they are same spec' engine etc.  Have been offered only £1k less in PEX than we paid a year ago so will jump at the chance to offload at that!  2nd one had 15k on it as a hire car which I believe has adversely affected it - cheap to buy but not as good as a result!

I will report back when I've driven the avensis regarding comparison.  Also going to drive the octavia and superb but I like the idea of another non turbo petrol in terms of reliability.  Colleague has a hybrid non estate auris and is running in high 50s mpg.  For me that isn't worth the extra money and I prefer a manual.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links