Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris making noise on full lock

Bonodog

Hi All,

my 17 plate Yaris icon is making a grinding noise on full lock to the left and the right any ideas?

Many thanks Jason

Do you mean it's making a noise if you turn the wheel whilst stationary, or when moving?

Your profile says 2016 Yaris and your post 17 plate Yaris!

Which is it, and does your profile need editing?

If it is a 17 plate, pop it into the dealer for them to sort.

Hi Frosty just changed my profile to reflect the 17 plate car. And I will 

My original Dunlops made a skipping sound when turning on full lock in the wet during cold weather as they neared the end of their life. Apparently a known phenomenon. Caused by the tight turning circle, Dunlop tyres and the fact that Ackerman steering isn't a perfect solution for disparate radii in tight turns.

• Like 1

Hi Tom, thanks for that, I didn't even think of the tyres and they are Dunlop too.

I don't know what Ackerman steering is but I will look it up

Seconded what bathtub tom says - A known 'feature' of the Yaris Mk1 and 2. I actually thought they'd solved this with the Mk3, since it's so much fatter than the first two, so it's a bit annoying that they still haven't done anything about it!

What's happening is at full lock the wheels are not aligned properly (Due to the tight space of the Yaris engine bay), so one wheel is being dragged sideways.

On smoother surfaces this manifests as squeal - I can get tyre squeal at full lock in the smooth tarmac of a multi-storey carpark by turning at full lock! - but in grippier surfaces it will jump and skip, making a sound not unlike driving over gravel.

It's not anything to be concerned with, just a bit annoying. I can't believe they still haven't fixed it yet given it's been a known issue since the Mk1! Given how much bigger the engine bay in the Mk3 is, there should be more than enough space to fix the angle of the steering rack arms!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links