Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1998 2.0l Avensis Saloon - owner topic

PaulRush

Hi guys , I have a 1998 2.0 petrol saloon A/C linea sol avensis. (See my introduction topic for more) It is one of the best cars I ever bought. I don't no if this is the right place for this topic but I was hoping for a type of progress build topic. 

I have a few questions regarding my car ;

1. Does anyone know what model my car is i.e gls / etc? Theres no badges bar the linea sol Badge or any info on paperwork.

2. Why would the indicators not flash when locking / unlocking?

3. Is my car a leanburn engine? Would it have the eco light in the dash and the bulb is blown? 

Thanks , i will hopefully be getting the original alloys back this week .

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0956.JPG

Irish cars have different titles for the specifications to UK cars - so Linea Sol is the spec.

For example the current Avensis has the following specs in Ireland: Aura; Luna; Luna Navi; Sol; Sol Navi.

In the UK the specs are: Active; Business Edition; Design; Business Edition Plus; Excel.

The actual content of the specifications may differ as well - Toyota Ireland will decide on the specification content for the cars they sell, and vice versa for Toyota GB.

As regards the indicators not flashing when locking/unlocking, it may depend what security spec Toyota Ireland decided upon  - which may differ to UK cars. 

• Like 1

You definitely have the GLS version, if sold in the UK. Apart from the different colour and body style (I had a 1.8 metallic green, hatchback), everything is the same - front fogs, grey interior, fake wood interior, Sony CD/cassette/radio, colour coded mirrors which are remote and heated, all electric windows, wheel trim. 

• Like 1

The only thing missing is the is the electric tilt & slide glass sunroof, that my old car had. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys , 

thats great now I know it's a gls. It did also had alloy wheels as standard if that helps and I have a set coming for it.

i hope nothing is broke regarding the flashing of the indicators to signal locking / unlocking.

and I must look at the dash tomorrow to see if I can see the lean burn eco lights , but I know they have never worked in my time if they are indeed on the car , I've attached a picture of the spare wheel which was left in the car , a previous owner removed the alloys due to bad pitting and bought brand new steel wheels and original wheel trims ! 

IMG_1572.JPG

The 'ECON' light was for the leanburn only and the 2 litre is not a 'leanburn' engine. Still a good engine though. If there are any issues with the remote central locking, there are a few fixes. I had one where the dome fuse deteriorates without blowing, and one of the keys went out of sync -

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/166489-avensis-1998-unlock-remote-key-fix-taken-from-forum/

Most issues have been covered in the forum and there is the Haynes manual.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links