Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bigger alloys?

Ben93

I want some new aftermarket alloys as mine are in a state.  I think the 2006 corolla t3 d4d has 15 inch ones as standard I've looked online as some and out my cars details in and comes up with 15 inch 16 and 17 that supposedly fit.  The only difference is the 16 and, 17s are half an inch wider at 7 inches instead of 6.5. 

They come with free fitting kit like new nuts bolts and a spigot to centre the wheel etc. Any idea or should I just go for the 15s 

The T3 came with 15 inch alloys, the SR 16 inch and the T-Sport Compressor 17 inch.

If you go for a larger size and different tyres, check the effect on the speedometer reading before changing. It is illegal for a speedometer to under-read, and there are certain limitations as to the degree of over-reading.

Also check with your insurer beforehand as to whether they will accept the change or charge additional premium for a modification.

You will need to advise /check with  your insurance company if you want to  fit different sized wheels.

If you have an accident, non standard wheels could invalidate any claim etc etc.

Yes, I know every other car you see has bigger wheels, but guess who gets caught out ....?

Don't forget, bigger wheels means thinner tyres  equals harsher ride  and more prone to the alloys and tyres being damaged by potholes.

2 hours ago, oldcodger said:

You will need to advise /check with  your insurance company if you want to  fit different sized wheels.

If you have an accident, non standard wheels could invalidate any claim etc etc.

Yes, I know every other car you see has bigger wheels, but guess who gets caught out ....?

I binned my steel wheels, 165/80-13, and now have OZ 15" fitted. I talked to the insurer (Direct Line, as a new customer!) and they were very good >> the young lady asked about the make and the size and reassured me 'yes, yes of course, it is unlikely such an old car would have original wheels anyway'... I was well chuffed & the policy states 'new for old repair/replace' alloy wheels.

35390573544_8c7b61df76_c.jpg

2sav

Do bigger wheels affect the speedo that much then for being 2 inches bigger I know tyres and stuff would also be bigger.  

I'd tell my insurer theyre ok with these things bout 20 pound a year more 

The 15 inch wheels just look so small and replacing them with nicer ones seems pointless if they're so small. As the suspension is so high up they look like pram wheels 

With bigger wheels you fit tyres with a smaller sidewall height so your overall rolling radius is the same.  Plenty tyre size calculators around to play with.

• Like 1

That's what I thought you just get low profile tyres so speedo stays the same.

All that space there just makes them look smaller than they are maybe ill go 16 inch and not 17 as 17 might be overkill?  I'm not sure really hard to say until they're on the car.  Maybe 16 will be a mix of comfort and looks whereas 17 will make it very harsh and probably decrease performance a bit.  

DSC_1381.JPG

1 of the reasons that I am changing cars is to go back down to 17" wheels with 55 series tyres vs 18" with 45 series - I  have had more tyre damage in the last couple of years than in the previous 30+. A lot of the blame obviously lies in the state of the roads but at £130 per tyre it gets expensive (latest 1 is probably only half way through it's tread life but is scrap due to sidewall damage from potholes).

Also, ride will improve albeit at a slight cost in handling - a tradeoff that I will gladly accept (yes, I am getting old :tongue:)

As regards the speedometer error, it is illegal for a speedometer to under read (show less than the actual speed), and to show more than 10% of the actual speed.

For example: if the speedometer reads 55mph at an actual speed of 60mph, that would be under reading and would be illegal: if the speedometer reads 63mph at an actual speed of 60mph, that would be OK; if a speedometer reads 68mph at an actual speed of 60mph, that would be illegal.

An example tyre size calculator - http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/speedo-error-calculator

In people's opinion would 16s be the better for a mix of comfort still vs look. 

12 minutes ago, Ben93 said:

In people's opinion would 16s be the better for a mix of comfort still vs look. 

Depends on the tyre size - effectively the lower profile tyre one has, the harder the ride. The width can also have an effect of the speedo reading. Play about with a tyre size calculator.

Another aspect to consider is the noise level and the mpg. Pick the right tyres by checking the noise and fuel efficiency ratings. Went from a no name tyre with directional thread to Continental tyres with asymentric thread, noise level difference was night and day.

Maybe I will just get 15s but something a bit fancier looking.  Will have to think about it. 

I think 15" will look just fine. My old Avensis had 15" alloys, perfect match in my opinion. The Avensis I own now came with 18" alloys (first owner ordered the car with extra big Toyota alloys) and I honestly think it looks silly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links