Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 XT-R 2.2 D4D 2012 Fuel Economy

tupps

Hi 

I Have recently bought a 2012 Rav4  XT-R 2.2 D4D after owning a 2006 Avensis Tourer 2.2 d4d for 7 years

but im not getting anywhere near the same fuel consumption as the Avensis only around 38mpg as apposed to 44mpg for the Avensis the new car has only done 35k the old car had 108k I thought the new generation diesels were better at fuel economy ?? or is there a problem with the new engine has anyone else had a similar low mpg as this The car is still under warranty so I could go back to my Toyota dealer but thought Id ask here first

38 mpg seems a fairly realistic figure for the RAV. That's around 90% of the official figure - which is fairly typical for real world usage - and, in comparison with the Avensis, the RAV has the aerodynamics of a brick and a four-wheel drive system to support.

Actual consumption is going to depend very much on the types of journeys that you do and how you drive. Also important is how you measure the consumption figures - brim-to-brim calculations are the only reliable way.

Hi Simon, Philip is correct and 38mpg is a realistic figure for the car, my 2012 2.2 D-cat Rav doesn't even achieve that so i'd be happy with your miles per gallon and again as Philip's comment about working your miles per gallon is the brim to brim way to do it as the figures displayed on the dashboard are not always 100% correct. Mike.

You can't compare Avensis and RAV4, even if the engines were identical.  The RAV4  has a higher drag body and is much heavier (about 400Kg).  It costs fuel to move against higher drag, and accelerate 400 Kg., and to that you have to add the rotating inertia of the drive components to drive the rear wheels.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links