Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering...

reece

So what causes Tram-Lining exactly?

Driving along the other day in the g/f’s Yaris and it decided to follow the road on its own! :eek:

Your on about Grooves on the motorway arent you?

They are caused by "wear and tear" of Lorries over along peroid of time

In a lorry you sit in them and they keep you in place. (can get a bit scary in high winds, as they make the trailer tilt)

but a car isn't anywhere near wide enough to fit in them.

Shouldn't it drive in a straight line anyway assuming the tracking is set up ok?

Surely you don't mean it was going round corners on its own too?

The term "tramlining" is used to describe when directional control is disrupted by the vehicle's tendency to follow the ruts and/or grooves in the road.

Tyres have the most direct influence on tramlining because they are the part of the vehicle that comes into contact with the road.

High performance tyres with short sidewalls that develop lots of cornering power will be more susceptible to tramlining than standard tyres.

The Yaris (T-Sport) has 185/55/15 tyres/wheels and will be more susceptible to your problem than a smaller tyre/wheel set up.

You may have like me, directional tyres, thus having more grip and exaggerating the problem. I experience tramlining occasionally since having a YTS.

(I’m back!) :thumbsup:

its scary sometimes though! it grabs the wheel out of my hands sometimes, if one wheel hits a repair in the road, and one is on the normal part - it tries to drag me along the repaired bit! :eek:

The term "tramlining" is used to describe when directional control is disrupted by the vehicle's tendency to follow the ruts and/or grooves in the road.

Tyres have the most direct influence on tramlining because they are the part of the vehicle that comes into contact with the road.

High performance tyres with short sidewalls that develop lots of cornering power will be more susceptible to tramlining than standard tyres.

The Yaris (T-Sport) has 185/55/15 tyres/wheels and will be more susceptible to your problem than a smaller tyre/wheel set up.

You may have like me, directional tyres, thus having more grip and exaggerating the problem. I experience tramlining occasionally since having a YTS.

Just the answer I was looking for :thumbsup:

Thks

Also if your wheel balancing or alignment is out, the car will "tramline" more severely...

:yes:

Mine never used to do it, now it follows everything it can find. Makes driving that little bit more fun though :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links