Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

It Stinks

monty

after running in my cts as described in't handbook i have recently been driving a little faster :thumbsup: the lift is fantastic as i knew it would be but i am a little concerned about the smell after racing the engine for a few miles. i know its not the cat as it aint the smelly egg smell and certainly not the clutch.

has anyone else experienced this smell? .... it resembles the smell you would get if you horsed your car for an hour on high revs where its almost boiling (yanno what i mean :D )

this smell occours after only a few minutes of racing 2ltr mr2's (n/a wiped the road with him btw) but shortly after it's not niticable at all.... should i be concerned??????

could just be paint or similar on the hot exhaust maybe ???????? :eek:

dunno mate surely the exhaust would be warmer arter driving 200 miles than it would after 8... i dont think its serious though ... just a bit abnormal

brakes? i get it alot, got schorch marks on them a few times,

as for NA mr2's thats YTS territory, until 90 :P but the twistys im a winner! :P

I recommend a good few magic trees(say a dozen lol) then you no notice smell. Hows that sound? :P happy driving !!! ;)

but i am a little concerned about the smell after racing the engine for a few miles.  

.... it resembles the smell you would  get if you horsed your car for an hour on high revs where its almost boiling (yanno 

Two or three possibilities:

(1) clutch, if you feel the smell during parking maneuvering.

(2) some plastic material, e.g residues of a plastic bag, attached to your catalyte, which is the lowest and hottest part of the car. It will be eventually burned out.

You would feel that smell while stopped in a traffic light.

(3) Not very likely, but once I also thought of smell coming from heated wax that protects the bonnet (but it was probably the clutch).

Due to some apparently bad design of the vents in this Corolla , all the warm air from the mechanical parts comes also into the cabin when we are using heating and not a/c.

I got the same smell on my Yaris at first, I put it down to the parts of the engine being new and breaking in. It wasnt a strong smell tho, just something that I noticed and no-one would've..it's stopped now, and she's done 700 miles.

what about the catalytic-converter? if you have only just started to open her up then thats probably what it is!

my mates brand new volvo (don't laugh! thats my job :lol: ) does the same thing when he opens her up for a bit it stinks. the cat get lot hotter than usal and burns all the factory 'stuff' off

It should settle down, good luck

Tim :thumbsup:

thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated, EVEN yours jjen :group-cuddles:

not sure if its the breaks though as i seldom use them although the smell is only noticable when i get out of the car

doesnt the cat smell like old eggs when it heats too much???

is still a !Removed!-tastic car though :drool:

thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated, EVEN yours jjen  :group-cuddles:

not sure if  its the breaks though as i seldom use them although the smell is only noticable when i get out of the car

doesnt the cat smell like old eggs  when it heats too much???

is still a !Removed!-tastic car though  :drool:

I think I know what you are talking about - never smealt it with my CTS but my brother in law recently took me out in a 325 BMW recently and absolutely rived the bo**ocks out of it over about 5 or 6 miles. (Showing off!!!).

When we got out it smelt well er 'hot' there was a definte noticeable arome from around the front of the car which was even worse with the bonnet up.

Can't realy describe it was just a 'hot' smell. The car didn't seem to suffer though.....

what i canny understand is,,, if this is the case why doesnt the inside of the engine... i.e. water temp not rise considerably too???

is the exhaust treated in anyway and thats why the smell is there??

def not a burning clutch smell though ... i smelyt it once when my mate was tryin to drive... he was riding the clutch like hell

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links