Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Are The Maximum Modifications That I Can Make To A 1.0l Yaris?

LittleM@n

Hi,

I want to know what can I change to my 1.0l Yaris, and to worth it.

I would more be interested in:

- air filter (induction kit)

- brakes (front, back, line brakes - including which drum brake is better; and I don't have ABS)

- suspension (maybe coilovers - I'll get 100% of the answers: Go for Tein?)

- catalic converter (the exhaust system I'll make it at Borla, 'cause they're the only one around here who make customized exhausts, but I still need the catalizor)

- strut bars

- and maybe...turbo kit.

I want what's best, and what have the best price/quality to have an ideea on prices (the prices would be wonderful to know).

If there is something I forgot about, fell free to tell.

I don't want answers like: get a TS, 'cause I won't. It's simple: as far as I made my calculations, getting a turbo on a 1.0 that you all ready have, is cheaper than a 1.5 Ts, and you get the same power + a nice noise + a lower mpg, and about the back drum brakes...don't worry, my 1.6l Carina has drum brakes, and is breaking quite well; so, no point in having back brake disks if you have good drum brakes.

don't think you can do much more than what you've listed.

Ok, maybe I didn't said well.

I want to know what induction kit to buy, what brakes, what strut bars, and so on.

Got the point? :D

Tnx

GReddy induction kit is probably your best bet. A backbox made by HKS, Blitz or Fujitsubo or the likes would work well too. You could even get a custom made manifold and centre section if you're going for more power. :thumbsup:

greddy induction kit £160

goodridge brake lines £70

3g discs if they do them for the 1ltr, if not black diamond about £100-£150

EBC greenstuff pads if you want cheap but fairly good pads about £40-£45, otherwise endless, expensive but very good. £125

Keep the standard drums, unless you want to add rear discs from a t-sport.

Either tein coilovers or some type of springs with koni shocks.

not much difference in price whichever you go for, but coilovers are height ajustable so your not stuck at the height of whatever springs you have.

tein basics are £517, koni shocks are £350, then your talking up to £150 for tein springs which are the best, about £17 difference between the two.

Would have to be a custom manifold, but if your getting a turbo that already has a replacement manifold, so get the exhaust system made after having the turbo fitted, bit of extra power get a sports cat.

Turbo will have to be a HKS and your talking £1800-£2000 just for the kit.

strut braces, omp rear brace £35, envy front under brace £55 and your choice of top brace. anything up to £180, that would be either TRD or c-one

Although you said not to mention getting a t-sport, and a turbo in a 1ltr is different, your talking about £5000+ for the above including fitting and reprogramming the ecu after having a turbo fitted.

£5000 plus a minimum of £1500 for your car is the price of a cheap t-sport. Look at earpls car he hasn't done much to his to gain 140BHP, and he can still beat a turbo'd YTS, never mind a turbo'd 1ltr

maximum you can gain from a 1ltr is 180BHP, you will need new pistons and the rest so you'll be looking at £7000+, otherwise you'll blow your engine.

I weighed the pros and cons, as I know I could have got the HKS turbo to fit my phase 2 1.3, as it's a similar engine to the 1ltr, but decided against it and bought a t-sport.

I weighed the pros and cons, as I know I could have got the HKS turbo to fit my phase 2 1.3, as it's a similar engine to the 1ltr, but decided against it and bought a t-sport.

Same here! :D

If you want some serious advice, first, you should say how you drive and which is the supposed use of this car : every day car ? track day car ? fast road-type car ? How much money can you spend ? :rolleyes:

I hope you understand my thoughts. You should go for a different setup concerning what is your purpose.

Generally speaking i think that the N/A direction is not worth for a 1000cc car. B)

Keep the standard drums, unless you want to add rear discs from a t-sport.

Not entirely necessary...there is a kit to change the rears to discs and it doesn't involve usings bits off other cars...

Right...:D

Nice answers. Thanks a lot.

As far as I can see, armoredfist2002, and maybe the rest of you, gave me the same answers as I already know :D

So I'm gooood :P

And yes, I'll use the car for every day car. And that means every day and every night, every trip form my house to the corner, to the mountain seaside, and so on :D

Now, regarding the price of all components that you mentioned is...about...3800£:

- 2000£ the turbo kit (and as far as I saw in the pictures at http://www.tdi-plc.com/toyota_yaris.html, I get the mainfold and the induction kit with the turbo)

- 300£ the exhaust (from manifold to the end,if I take it from Borla)

- 200£ remapping the ECU

- 520£ suspension

- 150£ brake discs

- 125£ brake pads

- 270£ strut braces

- 70£ brake lines

- dunno about sports cat, but I'll consider 150£

And if one of my best friends have an auto service, and I'll fit all of that for maximum 200£, it's 4000£; and maybe the postage around 400£ so, it's maximum 4500£.

Not 5000 and plus...am I right?

Now, if I tell you that I can take 4000£ on my car, and I can't find a decent Ts, well held like mine, with 5 doors (it's an important aspect), at less than 8300£, what do you say? The power it's almost the same, the grip and handling is better to the 1.0, and you have something more special: a turbo on a "bike" engine :))

And I don't need to give all the money once, 'cause I don't have them anyway. I can modd the car in time, step by step, not all once.

Give me a strong argument to change my mind.

Anyway, I thank you all for your answers, and I hope I didn't bother you too much.

Tnx,

Mihai

Personally I wud recommend selling the 1.0L and getting a TS.

Factory standard TS has much better features and more modifications available.

If you were to take a test drive in a TS u wud want one right there and then :yes:

TS has better brakes, which u need esp when u have alot of brake horse power.

Everytime u mod ur 1.0L ur ins will go up esp when u tell them uve fitted a turbo.

Why do u want to turbo ur 1.0L?

So it can be a sleeper or do u think it will b cheaper overall?

Get a TS uprate the engines breathing and exhaust to get more BHP. Slam it on Tein coilies and ull beat alot of cars out their. And if uve rly got alot of money supercharge it or Turbo it. If u did turbo it you would be one of the few to fit an aftermarket turbo to a 1.5L TS in this country.

Plus imagine if u did spend £5k on ur 1.0L modding it and fitting a turbo but then getting owned by a NA TS how gutted would u b :lol:

Also what about your insurance - (not sure what it's like where you live?)

It would be cheaper to insure a bog standard TS than a modded 1l even if it is the same BHP etc .... well over here anyway :thumbsup:

is he for real??? a 1.0 would handle better than a TS...etc etc. Sorry buy you require a serious word with yourself in the corner. A standard TS comes with all the bits on the inside, aircon, sunroof, sports seats etc and you'd rather spend all that money doing up something less desirable, worse handling, and less apealing than a TS.

It's your money, so do what you want, but you and your money will be easily parted.

i personally think you're barking!

Dunno folks, maybe you are right...but you see, it's my first car, and I won't let it get away that easily :D

And, how I said, I won't find a TS that worth. 'Cause if I'll find it, I'll take it right away. At the price I've found Ts, there are more atractive alternatives...a second hand Ts it's equivalent new Yaris 1,3 Linea Luna. Or to a brand new Opel (Vauxhall) Astra 1,4. And the examples can continue.

Maybe, when the time will come, I'll change parts that should be changed with something better, but nothing more. And I'll kepp the money for the future :)

And like an opinion, would you change my yaris from 99 with 40000 miles on board with a Chevrolet Lacetti 1,8 full options from 2005 with 8000 miles on board, giving just 1000 pounds for difference? I usually drive in town, so I'll pay much more for the fuel...but does worth it? (I would take the Lacetti without giving my car, but I can't :( )

And like an opinion, would you change my yaris from 99 with 40000 miles on board with a Chevrolet Lacetti 1,8 full options from 2005 with 8000 miles on board, giving just 1000 pounds for difference? I usually drive in town, so I'll pay much more for the fuel...but does worth it? (I would take the Lacetti without giving my car, but I can't :( )

No...

Ok, I won't ask any more if it bothers you.

But the members of this forum are the only one that could answer my questions.

Anyway, I didn't ask even 5% of them (all are 'bout my Yaris :D), but I've asked the important ones.

Regarding the Lacetti...all the people tell me to go for it...but like you, I've said no :) Just wanted the forum opinion.

Tnx for the replyes.

Lol ask away man! We're happy to answer! You haven't done this yet, but seeing as you said you have lots of questions it may be worth doing a search for related topics before hand as this may answer your questions and prevent repetition :)

Nothing bothers us mate, the guys here always give their honest opinions :thumbsup:

And I have to say I agree with them - you would in fact be better off buying a T-Sport than modding a 1.0. Don't shoot the messenger, its a fact and it will save you money in the long run as well as being, as standard, a fair bit of kit. :yes:

Sorry if thats not what you want to hear mate but you asked for honest views!

Regarding the Lacetti...all the people tell me to go for it...but like you, I've said no :) Just wanted the forum opinion.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Lacetti is just a rebadged Daewoo?

thats right they are only rebadged daewoos ..not chevies at all

we dont have that problem with cosmetic modifications on a 1 litre here ..only with a turbo

Yes, a rebadged daewoo...but, we still make daewoo here in romania, the old models, don't know for how long

But I can assure you they are good cars, and Nubira (the ex Lacetti) is better and reliable than a Renault Megane from the same period, and the Lacetti is a relly attractive offer. Like a brand new one, 1.8 122 CP, full options is 11800 euros (without taxes and VAT); the price is like a 1,3 Linea Luna Yaris 5 doors. And you get much more space, equipment, and so on, and they are not that worse at servicing, reliability, and so on.

Depends what you want.

But considering that I'm kind of Toyota fan (our first good family car was a Toyota that we still have it), and I like almost all the Toyotas (the modern ones :) ) I think I'll keep my little Yaris.

Cheers

P.S.: I'll still ask you, be sure of that. And I usually (all the time in fact) search the forum for my questions. So I'll ask just what I won't find :D

• 4 weeks later...

rite i see where this boy is coming from an this, but every time i see some one put a topic up about what they can or should do to their 1.0 yaris all of you excluding a small minority say " save your money and buy a ts" no im personally sick nd tired of people saying this, now correct me if im wrong each yaris has its own possibilities on what can be and cant be achived, if every one ditched the 1.0 yaris and went for a t-sport then that would make you the same as every one else, now i see my cars as a extension to my personality im modifying my 1.0 yaris no matter what other people say, i can modify it to be much better than a standard t-sport for less than it would cost to sell the 1.0 and buy a t-sport.

its about being different people stop following the croud and do your own thing!

respect LittleM@n, and any one else modifying a 1.0

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links