Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Owner Advice

cassman

Hi all,

I am now the proud owner of a T 1999 1.0 GLS Yaris that I bought from the auction last week for £2,300. The price is about full market value but I got carried away bidding with another private buyer and it is a 5 door version but without alot of the added extras.

It is our family's third car with the main purpose of driving me to and from work. I was having to use our Fiat Ulysse people carrier for the 60 mile round trip but am now looking to make a dent in the fuel bills. The insurance on it's own with Elephant came in at £261 so I took a quote from Admiral. The multi car policy came in at £520 for our 3 cars for the year for me and the wife which I've accepted.

I was unsure of the lack of power, but as some people on this forum have already mentioned, you only really notice it on hills and as there will only be me in the car - no problem at all.

I'm awaiting the fuel economy figures but I've been warned not to trust the guage figure as it's normally vastly exagerated. First journey to work averaged 51.4mpg. Other forum users have quoted 330 miles to the last segment of the guage, what does that equate to as mpg.

I have found lots of great bits of info from this site and intend doing a little customisation - nothing major, but the aftermarket addition of the 6 disk sony Mp3 head unit looks a great project but funds will have to be saved before progressing.

I have also posted here about the Scangauge II unit, as to whether it would work in my model and year and await the reply. If the person who answered my query on that posting could answer it here I'd be able to follow its progress easier.

Thank-you all again for the advice found on the forum and I look forward to reading other great tips.

Welcome to the club!

Wow your insurance is cheap!!

The guage figure for mine is very poor, it is an underestimate usually, saying i only get 30mpg but i no it is a bit more.

Hope you enjoy your yaris!

Hi and welcome. You should get high 40s to 50mpg most of the time on average.

Resetting the average mpg computer and going on a long run gives very pleasing results though! :yes:

Hi mate

I have a similar car to you 2000 W reg 1.0 GLS 5 dr 52000 miles. Bought it 2 months and 2000 miles ago for the same price £2300 of eBay. One or two little dings in the drivers door, in fact they seem to be multiplying daily. What is it with my drivers door that it keeps getting dinged? Anyway I use mine for work daily, 40 miles cruising at 50-70 and 10 miles of stop-start town driving, plus lots of running the kids about at weekends. My AV MPG gauge is very accurate, I always reset it when I fill up and my daughter does a calculation on her phone, the gauge is always correct to the tenth of a mile. I've filled up about 6 or 7 times since I got the car, worst was 47.0 and best was 49.2 over about 350 miles. Never taken it for a long motorway run but would hope to get into the low 50's if I did.

Thanks for the replies,

Of the 60 mile round trip to work, I have : 20 miles at 70mph, 15 miles at 45 and 15 miles when I'm speed limitted to 40mph due to average speed cameras.

From your reply, should I expect to get better fuel consumption on a 70mph motorway run or a 40mph town travel with stop starts?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links