Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reviving My Car?

rockman

This question has always plagued my head, but I was thinking of reviving my 1986 Carina II. That’s if I do get that opportunity.

First, its going to need a new engine. So that could mean the BHP will go over 220+

And I am worried that the car wont cope with that sort of BHP with a front wheel drive car.

Theres a few options:

First: use a 4A-GE20 20valve engine and be enough... thats it.

Second: get the 3s-gte engine. But then comes that question, how well with it cope? will a front dif help or could I fit one in the car?? Or can I get a 4WD drive train? Would that mean chopping up some of the car chassis? Which I hope it doesn’t.

I know apart from power I would need to sort the suspension, brakes and others.

Thanks in advance.

-Rockman

converting to 4WD would be a lot of work, and youd have to do a lot of work to the chassis.

FWD cars have the diff intergrated into the gearbox.

hope this helps

Thanks.

what would be the best solution if I wanted more power over the 220 BHP? As the car looks heavy for a 4 door car plus do you think its possible in a big V8 engine? :D

-Rockman

You could fit a 3S-GTE - they run MKII MR2's through the rear wheels - not just GT4's ;)

You would need to either mount the engine & g.box 180 degrees to how it's nounted in the rear of the MR2 or source another gearbox and driveshafts.

No offense, but why bother going big power on a carina? There will be a load of other stuff you'll need to upgrade like brakes, suspension.

Just better to sell the carina and buy something that's already quicker IMO, although perhaps not as fun developing :thumbsup:

Best get in touch with Dawesy as he's done a 3S-GTE conversion running FWD to his Corolla. He spent a fortune doing it and getting it right.

yeah I checked some of Dawesy post about his 470bhp corolla :eek:

How on earth does it go round bends? and more importantly, how is it keeping all that power with a FWD car?

-Rockman

do you think its possible in a big V8 engine?

Anything is possible, but as Garrick has already said its just not worth it. To go V8 you would need to convert the car from FWD to RWD.

i read somewhere more than 250bhp from the front wheels is a bit dangerous? thats for the new mini dunno about carina thoughb

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links