• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • First Name:Bing
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: No longer Toyota owner
  • Year: Non

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:53 PM

As the title says, it's a bit like tar-ish stuff covering my car, ALL OF IT :angry:

It's a bit like the drops of tar you sometimes find on a car, for whatever reason, but this is a finer grade and bit more diffcult to remove.

Any good solutions of how to remove it?? Would something like T-cut help at all??

The car looks fine from a distance, but soon as you feel the bodywork, there it is :huh:

:help:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 T600

T600

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • 2,965 posts
  • Toyota Model: Auris T180, MR2 GT T-Bar

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:26 PM

T-Cut might be a bit too much; you want to get whatever it is off without removing any paint.

I'd look at the various products in the Meguiars range - their three stage treatment involves a paint cleaner (Step 1 Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner) that will probably do the trick without removing too much paint.

Whatever you get check with the retailer that it's suitable for your car, then remember to test it on a small unobtrusive area before attacking the whole car with it, and follow the instructions carefully. If you use the Step 1 Cleaner, follow it up with the appropriate other stages because until you complete the process your paint is exposed to the elements.

Also might be useful to try to figure out what it is - have you followed any vehicles that have been burning oil recently, or do you park under a tree perhaps, or have you driven down any recently repaired roads?

#3 bigshark

bigshark

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Toyota Model: corolla 98 (gone) Levin 20v BT BZ-G S.S(in)

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:56 PM

i used meguiers tar&bug remover yesterday and it works!! spray on and leave for a few min then wipe, takes a bit more scrubbing on stubborn places! but yea, they work but it took me ages tho, its hell of a lot better using turtlewax tar&bug wipes! they are useless!!

#4 Chris81

Chris81

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris T-Sport

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

Try Autoglym's tar spot remover, or if that doesn't work, try a clay bar.

#5 JappyBeast

JappyBeast

The Purple Monster

• Registered Member
  • 15,731 posts
  • Toyota Model: Mad Purple MR2!

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:48 AM

Sounds a bit basic but when I'm cleaning my MR2 and find one, I pick at it with my finger nail and then wipe with a sponge!

#6 man-bing

man-bing

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • First Name:Bing
  • Toyota Model: No longer Toyota owner
  • Year: Non

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

Sounds a bit basic but when I'm cleaning my MR2 and find one, I pick at it with my finger nail and then wipe with a sponge!

It's not just one thats on my car, it's like a fine dust size and it's all over my car.
I could spend time to pick it off, but i think it would take me hours to do thought.

Thanks anyway

Bing
:thumbsup:

#7 rpaterson

rpaterson

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Toyota Model: '02 RAV4 NRG 3 dr

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

I've just had to clean a load of tar spots off our new RAV4. I used Autoglymn's Intensive Tar Remover with really good results. It took it a bit of time and made the paint dull. It just took a decent polish to bring it back to a shine.

#8 Moffmo

Moffmo

Shotgun Slag

• Advanced Members
  • 8,037 posts
  • Toyota Model: Seat Ibiza :|

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:27 PM

I've just had to clean a load of tar spots off our new RAV4. I used Autoglymn's Intensive Tar Remover with really good results. It took it a bit of time and made the paint dull. It just took a decent polish to bring it back to a shine.

watch out with the tar remover etc, becuase it does remove any layers of polish too!

#9 rpaterson

rpaterson

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Toyota Model: '02 RAV4 NRG 3 dr

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

Aye, as it contains 'petroleum distillates' it's essentially a solvent and will remove any existing polishes, in much the same way as using Stardrops as a shampoo will! A decent application of a decent polish sorts things right out.

#10 Karma Supra

Karma Supra

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • 8,639 posts
  • Toyota Model: 3rd Gen Hilux Surf SSR-X LTD

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:07 AM

A rag soaked in petrol..... Cheap and effective, and before anyone says it damages the paint, -it doesn't car paint, funilly enough is petrol resistant!

then re-rince re-wash and re-polish ;)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users