Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tar-ish Stuff All Over My Car

man-bing

As the title says, it's a bit like tar-ish stuff covering my car, ALL OF IT :angry:

It's a bit like the drops of tar you sometimes find on a car, for whatever reason, but this is a finer grade and bit more diffcult to remove.

Any good solutions of how to remove it?? Would something like T-cut help at all??

The car looks fine from a distance, but soon as you feel the bodywork, there it is :huh:

:help:

T-Cut might be a bit too much; you want to get whatever it is off without removing any paint.

I'd look at the various products in the Meguiars range - their three stage treatment involves a paint cleaner (Step 1 Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner) that will probably do the trick without removing too much paint.

Whatever you get check with the retailer that it's suitable for your car, then remember to test it on a small unobtrusive area before attacking the whole car with it, and follow the instructions carefully. If you use the Step 1 Cleaner, follow it up with the appropriate other stages because until you complete the process your paint is exposed to the elements.

Also might be useful to try to figure out what it is - have you followed any vehicles that have been burning oil recently, or do you park under a tree perhaps, or have you driven down any recently repaired roads?

i used meguiers tar&bug remover yesterday and it works!! spray on and leave for a few min then wipe, takes a bit more scrubbing on stubborn places! but yea, they work but it took me ages tho, its hell of a lot better using turtlewax tar&bug wipes! they are useless!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds a bit basic but when I'm cleaning my MR2 and find one, I pick at it with my finger nail and then wipe with a sponge!

Sounds a bit basic but when I'm cleaning my MR2 and find one, I pick at it with my finger nail and then wipe with a sponge!

It's not just one thats on my car, it's like a fine dust size and it's all over my car.

I could spend time to pick it off, but i think it would take me hours to do thought.

Thanks anyway

Bing

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I've just had to clean a load of tar spots off our new RAV4. I used Autoglymn's Intensive Tar Remover with really good results. It took it a bit of time and made the paint dull. It just took a decent polish to bring it back to a shine.

I've just had to clean a load of tar spots off our new RAV4. I used Autoglymn's Intensive Tar Remover with really good results. It took it a bit of time and made the paint dull. It just took a decent polish to bring it back to a shine.

watch out with the tar remover etc, becuase it does remove any layers of polish too!

Aye, as it contains 'petroleum distillates' it's essentially a solvent and will remove any existing polishes, in much the same way as using Stardrops as a shampoo will! A decent application of a decent polish sorts things right out.

A rag soaked in petrol..... Cheap and effective, and before anyone says it damages the paint, -it doesn't car paint, funilly enough is petrol resistant!

then re-rince re-wash and re-polish ;)

• 3 months later...

tar remover leave it to dwell, Wash then clay. i wouldnt pick it with your nail you will leave the car with imperfections :) its a common habit tho.

• 3 months later...

I had the same thing with my silver mx5 a few years ago. Autoglym's tar remover was fab. Much better than i expected it to be.

I know, i know, i need my bottom smacking for having the mx5. Soon came to my senses and got a MR2

I know, i know, i need my bottom smacking

Do you need any help with that part SarahAnn ;)

Bing

:thumbsup:

Perhaps you never asked the right person that question :lol:

Saying that, mine's still covered in that stuff, never did get all of it off :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links