Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Power

little dee

My diesel 03 Avensis hatchback intermittently loses power and slows down after driving it on a motorway for around 20 to 30 minutes and at a speed of around 60-70 miles an hour. When this happens, pressing on the accelerator makes no difference whatsoever, that is, the engine does not rev up and the car gradually slows down and then all of a sudden it starts accelerating again. The problem has happened (with much less frequency) even when I have driven the car only for a short distance on city roads at a speed of 20-30 miles an hour.

My local Toyota dealership has not been able to detect the cause of this problem. They advised me that their computer does not show anything wrong with the car, and also, their mechanic has driven the car but has not noticed any thing wrong with it. Clearly, being an intermittent problem makes it difficult to detect its cause.

the 2.0ltr diesel engine in the avensis around your vehicles age is known to have sicky suction valve solenids in the fuel supply pump (located at the front of the engine) these can restrict fuel on high revs and speed causing a lack of power even when accelerator is depressed fully. this problem may not necesseraly bring on any king of warning light on dash, it is aslo hard to detect unless you show the mechanic when it happens. luckily you do not need to buy a whole supply pump to rectify this problem, a suction valve kit can be obtained through a Toyota dealer costing around 120 quid, plus labour. this is usually the most likely problem the problem but dont quote mo on that. Starensis TLT (Toyota licsenced Technician).

so can problems with maf sensors can cause a serious degradation of performance

No not really you wont notice any difference maybe a dip in fuel economy and if faulty or left unconnected will bring the engine management light on the dash

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links