Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis D4d Starting Problem

2004 Avensis Diesel Driver

After waiting for the glow plug light on the dashboard to go out, I turned the ignition key to start the engine and nothing happened (all of the lights on the dashboard went out). When I tried again, this time none of the dashboard lights came on, so I suspect this is something as simple as a fuse or a relay which has gone.

Any ideas?

I have a 2004 Avensis Diesel which until now has opperated without any problems, and please be aware that I am not a mechanic, so simple explanations would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

After waiting for the glow plug light on the dashboard to go out, I turned the ignition key to start the engine and nothing happened (all of the lights on the dashboard went out). When I tried again, this time none of the dashboard lights came on, so I suspect this is something as simple as a fuse or a relay which has gone.

Any ideas?

I have a 2004 Avensis Diesel which until now has opperated without any problems, and please be aware that I am not a mechanic, so simple explanations would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

sound like your batery could be on its last leggs . try jump starting it . if it starts have the batery tested

I have just tested the battery and it is fully charged

try to jump start it anyway , just to see if gives you any life . the Battery could be showing 12v but there could be still dead cells . have you used a heavy duty discharge tester ? if its still dead on jump leads its probably an earth fault .

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

hello

when you state as "NOTHING HAPPENED" -- what did you mean?? Have the engine been cranked after?

How do you feel whether the cranking is good enough ? Sometimes due to carbon originating on the glow plugs relay -- it results current leak and plugs are not heated enough. Your soon response is appreciated.

Cheers/Igor

• 5 months later...

Had the very same problems on my 2005 Avensis Diesel Estate. Battery showed fully charged, but nothing happened when the ignition was turned. I checked all my leads and connections as I couldn't understand why the car wouldn't start.The car jump started ok with my leads,so I fitted a new Battery and have had no problems since. Hope this helps

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Sounds like the Battery to me, a fully charged but faulty Battery can show full voltage with a multimeter but if one or more cells fail the Battery will go open circuit under load ie when you try to start it.

Put the multimeter across the battery and watch what happens when a mate tries to start the engine for you .... the voltage will drop to zero! It will cost at least £80 -£100 for a decent replacement, more from a main dealer, don't buy a cheap one if you are keeping the car especially being a diesel which requires a lot more amperage to start the engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links