Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D-4d Starting Problem 2004

andyhep

Hi i have a problem with a 2004 d4d sometimes when its stood it takes ages to start i have to crank it over and over and eventually it fires.this has started happening recently.I have changed the heater plugs a few months back so im guessing it cant be them but i noticed the glow plug light only stays on for a couple of seconds even in sub zero temp,is this normal??.Will they still be on even tho the light goes off??I did have a light up 6m ago which has stayed off which was P1251 something to do with fuel?? Any ideas help as i feel it will get worse and let me down ,wouldnt be the turbo would it.

yh it does a few seconds more like in the morning but my cars done 67,000 miles ive never had a starting problem

Hi update on the heater plugs.I did a test on them they stay on about 15 secs after the light goes out and then come back on when the car fires for a short while.So can rule that one out as long as a plug hasnt gone down.The other day it was hard to start after it was warm after a long journey so shouldnt be the plugs.It isnt all the time just now and again.

Hi update on the heater plugs.I did a test on them they stay on about 15 secs after the light goes out and then come back on when the car fires for a short while.So can rule that one out as long as a plug hasnt gone down.The other day it was hard to start after it was warm after a long journey so shouldnt be the plugs.It isnt all the time just now and again.

Sounds like it may be suffering from fuel run back, i.e. the fuel is running back under gravity to the tank level leaving air in the pipes. The engine then has to crank for quite a while to refill the system. I believe there can be a problem with the valves in the fuel pump on the diesel model. Check out other posts on here.

Hi i have a problem with a 2004 d4d sometimes when its stood it takes ages to start i have to crank it over and over and eventually it fires.this has started happening recently.I have changed the heater plugs a few months back so im guessing it cant be them but i noticed the glow plug light only stays on for a couple of seconds even in sub zero temp,is this normal??.Will they still be on even tho the light goes off??I did have a light up 6m ago which has stayed off which was P1251 something to do with fuel?? Any ideas help as i feel it will get worse and let me down ,wouldnt be the turbo would it.

hello

check with the following:

- SCV;

- Injectors solenoids control signal;

- air presence inside of HP fuel injection pump suction line -- due to leaks in fine filter/air escape screw etc;

- air filter condition;

- resistance of each glow plugs (must be equial on all).

cheers/Igor

hello

check with the following:

- SCV;

- Injectors solenoids control signal;

- air presence inside of HP fuel injection pump suction line -- due to leaks in fine filter/air escape screw etc;

- air filter condition;

- resistance of each glow plugs (must be equial on all).

cheers/Igor

their is a 99% chance it is the scv

You can start by having a look at the fuel line under the car for any leaks.

Ovbiously I assume the car is upto date on the service ?

Hi whats the SCV ??

hi

the SCV <=> solenoid control valve --> this one is mounted on the HP fuel injection pump body.

cheers/Igor

Hi there is it like the old ones with a plunger in it, so when ignition on plunger goes in and when turned off plunger goes out i guess this stops the fuel..Do they fail or usually throw a light up before failure?

Hi there is it like the old ones with a plunger in it, so when ignition on plunger goes in and when turned off plunger goes out i guess this stops the fuel..Do they fail or usually throw a light up before failure?

when you turn the key to ON position -- this means the SCV is under voltage and inlets the diesel to the pump. once you turn the key to start this means that you switch the starter and at the same time the pump sucts and discharges diesel to the rail.

but each plunger (they are two) is normally equipped with respective delivery valve . in case this delivery valve has a leak then the result is -- you have starting problems.

cheers

Igor

when you turn the key to ON position -- this means the SCV is under voltage and inlets the diesel to the pump. once you turn the key to start this means that you switch the starter and at the same time the pump sucts and discharges diesel to the rail.

but each plunger (they are two) is normally equipped with respective delivery valve . in case this delivery valve has a leak then the result is -- you have starting problems.

cheers

Igor

or they need a clean :)

cheers

Igor

hello

both delivery valves can not be simply cleaned (!) but only grinded using very fine grinding paste.

cheers

cheers

Igor

hello

both delivery valves can not be simply cleaned (!) but only grinded using very fine grinding paste.

cheers

Yes but not many people can grind the valves.

I have seen several cars with these symptoms and the closest valve is the one that turns bad

cheers

Igor

hello

cheers

Yes but not many people can grind the valves.

I have seen several cars with these symptoms and the closest valve is the one that turns bad

Yes the idea is to be well experienced, in fact :) and to have special tool/s.

cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links