Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.8 Vvti Fuel Consumption

just mike

I am looking for some input to what I believe to be a fault with my Avensis Estate T3X.

I have 2 estates, one is a 53 plate 1.8vvti T4 [71,000 miles] and the other is a 55 plate 1.8vvti T3X [6,800 miles, yes, 6,800 miles] which I bought in December last year. The mileage on the 55 plate is so low as the previous owner was a disabled chap who rarely used it and went no farther than the local shops.

The 53 plate gives me around 48 - 54mpg combined over a tankful of fuel and encompasses all kinds of driving conditions but mostly urban and dual carriageway. I'm perfectly happy with the fuel consumption of that car however it does use in the region of 1litre of oil per month [has 71,000 miles on it and always serviced from Toyota] but i'm aware of the issues there.

The 55 plate is giving me no better that 31 - 33mpg on a dual carriageway run at a steady 70 to 75mph. I took the car back to the dealer yesterday and he performed various tests but came back telling me there was nothing wrong and there was nothing they could adjust or replace to make it better.

So, does this sound logical? Has anyone had this before?

Any help / suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

I am looking for some input to what I believe to be a fault with my Avensis Estate T3X.

I have 2 estates, one is a 53 plate 1.8vvti T4 [71,000 miles] and the other is a 55 plate 1.8vvti T3X [6,800 miles, yes, 6,800 miles] which I bought in December last year. The mileage on the 55 plate is so low as the previous owner was a disabled chap who rarely used it and went no farther than the local shops.

The 53 plate gives me around 48 - 54mpg combined over a tankful of fuel and encompasses all kinds of driving conditions but mostly urban and dual carriageway. I'm perfectly happy with the fuel consumption of that car however it does use in the region of 1litre of oil per month [has 71,000 miles on it and always serviced from Toyota] but i'm aware of the issues there.

The 55 plate is giving me no better that 31 - 33mpg on a dual carriageway run at a steady 70 to 75mph. I took the car back to the dealer yesterday and he performed various tests but came back telling me there was nothing wrong and there was nothing they could adjust or replace to make it better.

Thanks, Mike

I know they are both 1.8vvti's but are they both the same body? I am pretty sure that the later body shape is heavier so if the 53 plate is the older 'facelift' model it will do better.

If they are the same body model, due to the lack of use the 55 plate has had, maybe the piston rings have got sticky and the bores glazed. You could try a flushing oil at the next oil change to get rid of some gooey deposits or a combustion chamber cleaner additive in your fuel.

Otherwise. it may improve by itself with some use.

Thanks, Mike

I know they are both 1.8vvti's but are they both the same body? I am pretty sure that the later body shape is heavier so if the 53 plate is the older 'facelift' model it will do better.

If they are the same body model, due to the lack of use the 55 plate has had, maybe the piston rings have got sticky and the bores glazed. You could try a flushing oil at the next oil change to get rid of some gooey deposits or a combustion chamber cleaner additive in your fuel.

Thank you for the feedback. Both cars are the same model of Estate.

Can you recommend a flushing / cleaning additive?

Cheers.

Thanks, Mike

Thank you for the feedback. Both cars are the same model of Estate.

Can you recommend a flushing / cleaning additive?

Cheers.

Should be able to buy a flushing oil from a motor factors, I haven't used one in years now so not sure whats around. A good combustion chamber cleaner is (or was) one made by 'Add-it', you add it directly to the fuel and it cleans everything in its path. It was very good for sticky valves on the K series Rover engines, quite common when they just toddled around town. Not sure where it is available as we used to get it from a rep.

To just mike,

If your getting 48 to 54 mpg from a 1.8vvti i would have another look under the bonnet & make sure your engine is not a D4D. That's exceptional milage for a 1.8. The other car is doing a little less than you would hope for from a combined cycle, you should expect around 35 to 40 mpg from my knowledge of this engine, with maybe a touch more on a long steady run.

Regards, Beagh.

To just mike,

If your getting 48 to 54 mpg from a 1.8vvti i would have another look under the bonnet & make sure your engine is not a D4D. That's exceptional milage for a 1.8. The other car is doing a little less than you would hope for from a combined cycle, you should expect around 35 to 40 mpg from my knowledge of this engine, with maybe a touch more on a long steady run.

Regards, Beagh.

Mine gives me,on average, 38mpg on a mixed cycle of town and single carriageway A road driving (20,30,40 and 60 mph limits), average speed comes out at a mere 25mph due to the town sections. This is virtually all work and back, more mpg on the way home as theres more downhills than ups.

Can't tell you what I would get on a dual carriageway at a steady 70/75 to compare with the 53 plate, cos I never go anywhere :(

P.S. Just a thought, there isn't any brakes sticking on the 53 plate is there? That would certainly knock the mpg down.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links