Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Obd2 Fault Code Readers For Beginners

iceland_potter

Hi,

I've read through some previous threads on OBDII fault code readers for Gen 7s, but wondered if someone could please recommend me as a beginner to this a suitable compatible, cheap code reader for the Gen 7 please?

I don't know the extra benefits a USB lead has over a hand held device just showing the fault codes, but also wonder if there are any pieces of software anyone recommends please?

The reason I'm looking at these is because my VVTi doesn't work i.e. I dont get a boost in acceleration at higher revs, and would like to see if there's a fault code on this.

cheers.

Go to talktomycar.co.uk, i got one for my last car and was only £25. It saved me a fortune turning the clio's engine management light off.

Go to talktomycar.co.uk, i got one for my last car and was only £25. It saved me a fortune turning the clio's engine management light off.

OBD code readers only work for emissions so won't help with lots of other faults. They only read generic codes rather than all possible manufacturers codes.

That's why proper scanners are so expensive. If all you want to do is turn off a management light a cheap one will do. You need to fix the fault first of course.

Have you actually got a light on your dash to say you have a fault?

Otherwise, unless you're interested in logged faults you're gonna have to get it looked at properly.

And can you describe the fault a little more? In what way do you mean you don't get a boost? I take it the engine is correctly serviced and oil, plugs, filters etc are all in good condition?

Have you actually got a light on your dash to say you have a fault?

Hi, no there's no dash light.

Otherwise, unless you're interested in logged faults you're gonna have to get it looked at properly.

:( was hoping to be able to check all codes myself. Didn't know I could pay more and get a more detailed specific Toyota reader as another poster above has mentioned.

And can you describe the fault a little more? In what way do you mean you don't get a boost? I take it the engine is correctly serviced and oil, plugs, filters etc are all in good condition?

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86003

I mean I dont get the boost in acceleration when I hit ~5500rpm like I used to on my old Gen 7.

Oil, Plugs and Filters have all been recently changed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links