Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel Flat Spot When Accelerating

Hawkeye5

I've got a 2.2d on an 07 plate. The problem started a few days ago. At the bottom of every gear, there's no power when i accelerate. Obviously this is a problem in First gear, pulling away from junctions. I'm pulling out into traffic and going nowhere. A bit scary. After a few seconds, the power returns and away i go.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

I've got a 2.2d on an 07 plate. The problem started a few days ago. At the bottom of every gear, there's no power when i accelerate. Obviously this is a problem in First gear, pulling away from junctions. I'm pulling out into traffic and going nowhere. A bit scary. After a few seconds, the power returns and away i go.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

What rev's do you use when you experience that? On low rev's that normal.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

hello

what jobs list you do perform during each service?

Are you the first owner and know service history?

Cheers/Igor

Hati,

I've not changed my driving habits and don't think i'm trying to pull away without the use of the gas. This also wouldn't be the case in the rest of the gears. i.e., 2nd, 3rd. generally speaking, the revs are around 1500/2000 when engaging, i think.

Igormus,

The car has done 28k miles, got 2 service stamps, one at 17, the other at 26. Both from Sir Clark's Toyota franchise. I only got the car at 18k so i'm not entirely sure what was performed or had happened during it's first year of life. Since i've had it, it's never missed a beat until now.

Thanks

If you're driving for economy like me and tend almost never go over 2000RPM, it may be your injectors are starting to get crudded up.

I had a similar issue, but someone here (I forget who, but the thread is still here somewhere) suggested I just give it a good long blast on the motorway, and that seemed to make it a bit better.

I've been doing a lot of motorway runs recently and that has also seemed to help.

Other alternatives you could try are dropping in some 'super diesel' or injector cleaning additives.

Hati,

I've not changed my driving habits and don't think i'm trying to pull away without the use of the gas. This also wouldn't be the case in the rest of the gears. i.e., 2nd, 3rd. generally speaking, the revs are around 1500/2000 when engaging, i think.

Those revs are a litle low if you use them all the time. You should try running the motor over 2000rpm all the time. Toyota D-4D engines are not designed to be run on low revs.

Thanks for the responses guys, i'll give it a good thrashing for a while, see if it helps.

Let you know how it goes.

Hati,

Igormus,

The car has done 28k miles, got 2 service stamps, one at 17, the other at 26. Both from Sir Clark's Toyota franchise. I only got the car at 18k so i'm not entirely sure what was performed or had happened during it's first year of life. Since i've had it, it's never missed a beat until now.

Thanks

hi

what is goin gon when you press gas pedal sharply? it must to hard vibrate and after a few seconds you can feel the power ?

please advise/Cheers/Igor

Toyota D-4D engines are not designed to be run on low revs.

'eh? Is that just an opinion or is that what Toyota say?? :wacko:

usually spend most of my time down in the low revs; I assumed the clogging nozzles was just something that happened to diesels in general, but if this is a D4D-Can't-Handle-Low-Revs thing then that's a bit of a pain... :unsure:

Running over 2000rpm with this engine means 2-3rd gear most of the time rather than 3-4th and that'll really hurt the fuel economy...

All diesels need a good thrashing everyone now and again. Lots of reasons why. The cats in the D4d engine like all cats require higher temps to work Im sure the DPNR will need the same to regenerate which will affect power. Low engine revs also put strain on the engine and there a relative cooling of the cyclinders which could affect the temperture in the cyclinder and how the fuel is burnt. Which will can lead to a build up of deposits and effect the spray pattern of injectors. Also poor diesel can lead to a build up of deposits in the cyclinder/ on the injectors.

Too long spent at low revs can be detrimental and i cant remeber where ive seen it but im sure toyota recommend a stint of motorway/higher revs driving regularly to help clear out the engine.

hi

what is goin gon when you press gas pedal sharply? it must to hard vibrate and after a few seconds you can feel the power ?

Hi Igor,

I've been trying to give it a bit of a thrashing, foot to the floor stuff. I get a couple seconds of not much, a bit of shuddering, then i'm off rapid style leaving a big cloud of black smoke behind. There seems to be no limit to the number of times it'll leave this cloud behind, it just keeps coming.

It's also possible that while i'm away on business, the wife runs the tank down to vapour. Told her a million times......

I'm sure this doesn't help !

I'm sure you're all correct, probably dirty fuel / injectors etc.

Thanks,

Hi,

I always recommended doing a m-way run. Run it at 70mph at about 3k RPM for 5 - 10 minutes. Then Take it down to normal RPM 1.8k or whatever. The repeat at 3k if you like.

Come off the m-way, do some full acceleration blasts right through the rev range and foot down up hills too. You can even hold 3k RPM at lower speeds too to get the temp up, but its unlikely you could maintain the speed for longer than 5 mins. Just make sure you take it through the rev range smoothly after.

You will probably get black smoke if your putting your foot to the floor instead of smoothly as your just over fuelling for the rev range. Smooth but full acceleration might solve this.

You could couple this up with a tank or 2 of v-power

hi

Hi Igor,

I've been trying to give it a bit of a thrashing, foot to the floor stuff. I get a couple seconds of not much, a bit of shuddering, then i'm off rapid style leaving a big cloud of black smoke behind. There seems to be no limit to the number of times it'll leave this cloud behind, it just keeps coming.

It's also possible that while i'm away on business, the wife runs the tank down to vapour. Told her a million times......

I'm sure this doesn't help !

I'm sure you're all correct, probably dirty fuel / injectors etc.

Thanks,

hello Hawkeye5

you must to note that there are several main problem resulting such final, as follows:

- injection timing;

- poor injection;

- EGR valve clogging;

But the most probably it is due to poor injection -- in other words -- the amount of diesel injected is more than scavanging air from T/C (let's say constant value) CHeers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links