Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Horrid Glass Rattle Cured

rambler

hi folks

i have lived with a horrid glass rattle on my 4.2,it was the front door glass rattling loosley in the front upright guide,i just took panel off of door and wedged in a length of slit garden hose pipe.

had to slit the length of the hose and then trim about 10mm of the hose away so i was left with a channel of hose,which seemed to slot nice and firmly into the upright glass guide,so now glass runs smoothly through a 'channel of hose' from top to bottom and no longer hits the metal when halfway down.

i only hope hose doesnt come loose in time to come and stop window from going down(seems a good fix at the moment though).

what do you reckon folks?...reckon this fix should be ok...bit bodgy but it seems to work

post-70926-1247760058_thumb.jpg

post-70926-1247760243_thumb.jpg

Nice work Rambler.

Where did the old runner go though? They sometimes stick to the glass and end up in the bottom of the door.

Not seen it done before but it seems to work!

Nice work Rambler.

Where did the old runner go though? They sometimes stick to the glass and end up in the bottom of the door.

Not seen it done before but it seems to work!

hi anchorman

no idea im afraid,took good weather and some spare time ( very little these days) to take door panel off,drill out speaker rivets,replace with self tappers.

i downloaded 'scott cummings' info re door panel removal from somewhere on this forum

shone a torch in door void,no sign of any rubber anywhere in base of door,but the rear guide had about a foot of excess rubber hanging down out of the bottom of the guide,tried getting to it to cut off excess to use instead,but couldnt get to it....so had to improvise with whatever came to mind...being a plumber in my past, i thought .....ah ha!!,a draining down hose slit down the middle would create a good soft runner to slot in there......and da daaaaa,it seems to work.

now glass is completley rattle free... :yahoo::yahoo:

going in for its 80'000 mile service next week...another £200..ouch

Hi Rambler,

I need to remove door panel on my 4.2 but cannot see how to remove the pull handle and backing without breaking. I did remove cover and screw but it feels very tight and did not want to break it. Any help would be gratefully received.

Andy

Hi Rambler,

I need to remove door panel on my 4.2 but cannot see how to remove the pull handle and backing without breaking. I did remove cover and screw but it feels very tight and did not want to break it. Any help would be gratefully received.

Andy

hi andy

i attach a pic from rav4world of door panel,insert flat screwdrivers where shown by red arrows,possible with another screwdriver underneath to aid leverage,ther is a small hidden plastic locating 'hook' forward of the screw hole and out of sight,you will see it once 'backplate' or 'bezel' is removed.

it is tight,and there are two small 'clip' or 'snap' in catches between hinge loactions and backplate,one at top and bottom.

as they 'snap' out of place,ease the rear of the backplate away from the door panel and in an arched motion towards front of vehicle.....it is tricky,but the pic should help.

hope this helps

post-70926-1248207851_thumb.jpg

He'll be out walking so until he comes back.............

door.pdf

hi anchorman

cheers for the pdf,he should have no problem with that and my photo.

yep had a lovely evening stroll through the fields here,now raining though.

rambler

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links