Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.3 Roof Rail Bolt Points

Darkside

I have just been out to the car following a v.large shower and have found water running down both rear panels from the 'quick release' handles that drop down the rear seats.

The roof lining each side is also wet. This is the first time that I have noticed this but think it has to relate to me fitting roof rails a couple of months ago.

I did not fit Toyota roof rails, but the following which are pretty much identical:

http://www.direct4x4.co.uk/view-product.php?id=599

They came with all the necessary bolts and only made for the 4.3 so use the existing holes when the' blanking plates' were removed. They were, I thought, a perfect fit but water is obviously getting in somehow and I figure that seems to be the only obvious place.

Can anybody confirm that the bolt recesses do indeed 'open up' into the car body -- in other words that whatever is being bolted to the roof, be it blanking plates or roof rails have to have a sufficient washer to stop water ingress. I am going to take the rails back off again tomorrow and probably go and buy some more rubber washers but wondered if anybody could shed any light on this.

Can anybody confirm that the bolt recesses do indeed 'open up' into the car body -- in other words that whatever is being bolted to the roof, be it blanking plates or roof rails have to have a sufficient washer to stop water ingress. I am going to take the rails back off again tomorrow and probably go and buy some more rubber washers but wondered if anybody could shed any light on this.

They do indeed 'open up' into the car body, under the roof liner. I have two comms antennas attached and rather than drill the body, I fabricated two coaxial connectors/mounts , which fit in those holes and pass through into the inside of the vehicle for coax connection to the transceivers. I sealed them, with the thought of water ingress in mind.

Just looked at the bolts I removed. I'm sure you are aware, but the underside of the bolt washer has a rubber insert/seal.

Cheers :thumbsup:

EDIT: I'm talking about the rear bolt holes. Don't know about the front, but then it sounds like you are more interested in the rear. If you've got small enough hands, you can probably remove the plastic insert for the luggage guard in the roof lining and have a feel about for any moisture, rather than fiddle about with the roof lining. The access for the underside of my antenna connector is through those plastic inserts.

I would say that they alsmost certainly do (but cannot confirm) as they are just captive nuts on the inner roof. I can't see any evidence of a double skin on the replacement instructions for the roof panel;

roof.pdf

The genuine Toyota bars appear to have a substantial rubber gasket and they are handed which may affect the sealing. It might be obvious when you take them off tomorrow.

Good luck

I would say that they almost certainly do (but cannot confirm)

Beat You! :P :P :P :P

Many thanks for the responses, only seems to be the back the front liner looks bone dry?

I'll let you know how I get on. :unsure:

I would say that they almost certainly do (but cannot confirm)

Beat You! :P :P :P :P

You must have been poised on your super souped up computer :D

Pretty sure that was the problem.

Added some tap washers and a bit of sillicone sealant at each bolt and hopefully that will do the trick.

Will teach me for rushing it last time! :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links