Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Engine Noise

stevenson

Have had my 56 reg T180 for 7 months and 7k miles now and have only got one remaining niggle -

At about 1700 rpm (I think only in the middle 4 gears) with moderate acceleration there is a relatively quiet noise like scrunching up thick aluminium foil, perhaps higher pitch, almost like irregular fanbelt squeal. There is no hesitation and it only happens over a very narrow rev range (unlike fanbelt squeal) under load.

Bearing in mind the potential similarity to pinking and all the talk about carbon build up in hot places like the EGR, I thought it might be a good idea to investigate. There are no trouble codes.

Does anyone recognise this? BTW, I have seen people on here comment about hearing the turbo cutting in which happens about these revs - I have never heard it, though I have felt it!!

Car is under an extended warranty for the next 18 months. I don't want an incipient fault to remain benign until it runs out and then it causes trouble.

Hi,

I had this on my car when it had 2k on the clock and 4 months old. I id what you did and posted an enquiry on here under 'Turbo chatter'

Mine started just as the turbo spooled up about 1500 revs onn light throttle opening and then went off over 2000 rpm ish.

My dealer was very good and rather than diagnose the problem and try to re charge Toyota undare warranty they just claimed for a new turbo which did not cure it.

Long story - short. Its the drive belt pulley I think for the water pump and alternator. They changed the pulley and the belt and noise cured.

When the engine starts to spin up the motor 'pulses' (my interior mirror vibrates a bit at this stage) this pulsing causes the belt to slip a a bit causing what I called turbo chatter or pinking. I'll have a seach and see if I can find the part numbers for you.

Regards

Foound it.

Eureka it was a drive belt which was the problem. They checked the fault on my 10k service ordered the part and fitted it yesterday and it is now silent.

The part number replaced was 90916 W2014 for the belt and

16620 OR010 for the auxilliary tensioner.

I am a happy chappie again!

Thanks - this sounds right.

A question:

Belts are 'wear' items - did they do it under warranty?

Foound it.

Eureka it was a drive belt which was the problem. They checked the fault on my 10k service ordered the part and fitted it yesterday and it is now silent.

The part number replaced was 90916 W2014 for the belt and

16620 OR010 for the auxilliary tensioner.

I am a happy chappie again!

They did with mine as it was less than a year old. I agree with you, the belt will probably be classed as a wear item. You could always try changing the belt first to see if that does the trick and if not then decisde if you want to invest in the pulley.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Mereside

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links