Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bull Bars Illegal?

halfpastsix

I've just bolted some bull bars to the front of my Rav, only to be told (by my mum) that they are now illegal. Is this true???

Cheers. They are old bill bars fitted on an old Rav 4.1, so I guess I should be ok. Seems like these regs are for new bull bars only.

Hmmm'p, its your mum that should be made illegal! She should not know anything about male ego inducing devices like bull bars! Tell her to stick to her knitting! :yahoo: D'oh!

DaveH

I've just bolted some bull bars to the front of my Rav, only to be told (by my mum) that they are now illegal. Is this true???

• 2 weeks later...

Take care. You have just admitted to fitting them after the date on this forum. Legals know these forums exist and could use them angainst you. Bull bars do cause awful injuries which is why they were banned in the first place. Macho they may be; but are they worth the risk. I remember seeing some horribly corroded ones that were definately dangerous and would have cut anyone they hit to ribbons.

Take care. You have just admitted to fitting them after the date on this forum. Legals know these forums exist and could use them angainst you.
OK edit the first part of your post to read, (I fitted some bullbars to my rav 18 mths ago) then you will have proof :unsure: that they were fitted before the deadline.. :thumbsup::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just read this and it was a bit unclear. The bars came with the car. I took them off to get at the bumper, and then put them back on. Surely that can't be wrong?

Just read this and it was a bit unclear. The bars came with the car. I took them off to get at the bumper, and then put them back on. Surely that can't be wrong?

In that case you should be ok.

• 4 months later...
Take care. You have just admitted to fitting them after the date on this forum. Legals know these forums exist and could use them angainst you. Bull bar do cause awful injuries which is why they were banned in the first place. Macho they may be; but are they worth the risk. I remember seeing some horribly corroded ones that were definately dangerous and would have cut anyone they hit to ribbons.

I agree with you there. I just remember my friend who just got his set's of bull bars illegally. I'm not going in to further details.

Had lots of problems explaining to insurers that htere was some sort of bull bar type thing on the front.

Explained that they arent metal bars, but once I mentioned bull bars then all hell breaks loose.

I clicked modified on comparison sites and the same again

I understand that these are the safe type and were fitted by new from toyota. I mentioned it has a style pack and off they go again.

Took me ages to explain

Here they are....

Makes me wonder if I have to / should of mentioned them

post-51679-1261499260_thumb.jpg

I’ve heard that Kidderminster has a problem with illegal bulls roaming the streets, 100’s of them, everywhere!

I'm sure that the jury , having looked at the full thread, will understand that your mother never complained when they were on but complained when they went back on .

From 25th May 2007, Minister of State for Transport has confirmed it is illegal to continue to manufacture and sell metal bull bars that do not comply with the new EU legislation (Directive 2005/66/EC) for pedestrian protection. The maximum penalty to be imposed within the UK is 12 months in prison and a substantial £20,000 fine. See link below.

Cars sold with bull bars or bars fitted as an after-market will have to comply with EU guidance which effectively means they must crush or deform on impact and enhance cyclist or pedestrian impact safety.:)

http://www.tnn.co.uk/UKNews/plonearticle.2...4-30.3550012913

From 25th May 2007, Minister of State for Transport has confirmed it is illegal to continue to manufacture and sell metal bull bars that do not comply with the new EU legislation (Directive 2005/66/EC) for pedestrian protection. The maximum penalty to be imposed within the UK is 12 months in prison and a substantial £20,000 fine. See link below.

Cars sold with bull bars or bars fitted as an after-market will have to comply with EU guidance which effectively means they must crush or deform on impact and enhance cyclist or pedestrian impact safety.:)

that statement is pure class!

we fit bull bars to protect our vehicle (and to look cool and nudge pathetic drivers) why would we want them to crush or deform on impact...... LOL

maybe we would want to deform or crush something but not the actual bars lol

Here they are....

Well I would not call these bull bars one bit, they are made of plastic, and in my opinion are made for show only, there is no way you could attatch a winch or pull anything with them. !Removed! and they would come off. I have the same fitted to my Rav. Seems to be a plastic bull bar look a like molding screwed with 2 cm self tappers to the bumper. I would call it a bumper extension.

• Like 1

Here they are....

That is an approved accessory and have been approved as legal.

...what use are bull bars that crush and deform? If used for what they were supposed to be used for then a bullbar that crushes & deforms wouldnt prptect the car?

Here they are....

I have them on my 4.3 and, to be quite honest having fitted them myself and seen the structure, about the only thing they will protect the car from is some threateningly tall grass, stone chips on the bumper or the slightest of contacts when manouvering. They do have a certain DFWM look but frankly it is style over substance.

I personally just prefer the overall look of the car with them.

Probably shot myself in the foot as I have a very reasonably priced brand new set in the for sale section :unsure:

Here they are....

That is an approved accessory and have been approved as legal.

Problem is the style pack has a spoiler and side runners that comes with it - mention one and your in for a long night

Just dont mention it, its a factory fitted option, I dont see why you have to mention it, its comes as standard on some models from the factory. Like some cars come with alloys standard from the factory, do you have to tell then you have alloys so they can bump up the premium. This is how the car comes as standard.

Now if it is a non factory spec kit or alloys then maybe that`s is another matter.

that statement is pure class!

we fit bull bars to protect our vehicle (and to look cool and nudge pathetic drivers) why would we want them to crush or deform on impact...... LOL

maybe we would want to deform or crush something but not the actual bars lol

Try saying that to the parent of a child killed or imhired by such:)

at the end of the day the world has gone **** nuts about health and safety and ***** like that, if parents actually taught their kids how to cross the road in the 1st place we could still have meaty bull bars and stuff, everything had gone bonkers these days, legislation for everything.......

rant over :nopity::wheelchair::beer:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links