Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 More Power Need Help

bass/master

hi all, im new to this site, i own a 2000 model rav4, the engine is a 3sfe i believe. my lad owns an mr2 but has wrecked the body, short temper im afraid lol! but it has a good engine 3SGE and i would love to put this in my rav. does anyone know if this engine would just drop in on the rav mounts, would it be best to use the rav clutch or the mr2 clutch? im pretty good with engines but ECUs look quite hard to change, :help: or can i use the existing ECU? if not please advise step by step if possable. sorry im thick when it comes to ECUs, lol! hope to hear from someone soon.

Welcome to the club.

You mean you want to take a 2.0 VVTi out of a 4.2 and put a 3SFE in?

I'm not even going there but just wait for bothy to look in - he may know!!!

hi all, im new to this site, i own a 2000 model rav4, the engine is a 3sfe i believe. my lad owns an mr2 but has wrecked the body, short temper im afraid lol! but it has a good engine 3SGE and i would love to put this in my rav. does anyone know if this engine would just drop in on the rav mounts, would it be best to use the rav clutch or the mr2 clutch? im pretty good with engines but ECUs look quite hard to change, :help: or can i use the existing ECU? if not please advise step by step if possable. sorry im thick when it comes to ECUs, lol! hope to hear from someone soon.

If the engine is indeed a 3SFE then the 3SGE swap is a little more straightforward. You would need the ecu from the MR2 and you might find it easier to use the wiring loom as well - compare the sensors etc first. From memory the 3sge uses the same mounts pretty much. I have 2 with the 3SGTE fitted - fair bit more work.

The 3sge is a stronger engine and you could probably fit a piggy back ecu to get more out of it.

Use at least the MR2 clutch or an upgraded competition clutch.

If you take the loom, and note down everything before you undo it on both cars, then fit the replacement its not too bad...you will be able to work things out. The swap has been done by others around the world....rav4world may find them.

I should of course said that implanting a 3SGTE is much more fun. Having 2, we've just fitted a hybrid stage 2 turbo and the performamnce is awesome. In accelarating from 90-100, I managed to burst a rear tyre...well it turns out it had a bolt in the tread....and the car remained entirely stable. I knew from the bang that something had happened but didn't know what.

The tyres on that machine are 225/40x18 I think, and I was able to get back home 3 miles at a lower speed without wrecking the tyre or wheel - who needs runflats???

The turbo pressure is being kept below 1.6 bar for the moment.

The 3sge gives about 180bhp .... if it is the vvti engine, then I know nothing!

I should of course said that implanting a 3SGTE is much more fun. Having 2, we've just fitted a hybrid stage 2 turbo and the performamnce is awesome. In accelarating from 90-100, I managed to burst a rear tyre...well it turns out it had a bolt in the tread....and the car remained entirely stable. I knew from the bang that something had happened but didn't know what.

The tyres on that machine are 225/40x18 I think, and I was able to get back home 3 miles at a lower speed without wrecking the tyre or wheel - who needs runflats???

thanks bothwell buyer obviously you know your stuff! the engine for implant is 3SGE, that should improve the power quite a bit!! do you know if the immoboliser goes to the ECU because my rav is fitted with a viper with remote start because the standard rav alarm went wrong. does the ECU wiring loom go to the main dash and door locks or just the engine sensors? sorry not good with wiring! cheers jim

thanks bothwell buyer obviously you know your stuff! the engine for implant is 3SGE, that should improve the power quite a bit!! do you know if the immoboliser goes to the ECU because my rav is fitted with a viper with remote start because the standard rav alarm went wrong. does the ECU wiring loom go to the main dash and door locks or just the engine sensors? sorry not good with wiring! cheers jim

What I have found, having 2 RAVs and looked at others is that the wiring changes a bit depending on after market stuff like alarms....

best to trace where the wires from your existing ecu go. I think a separate ecu deals with the door locks etc. However, the main ecu will connect up to warning lights and so on the dash.

With the extra power, you might want to think about adjustable shocks to stiffen things up. The rear diff mount will need stiffened with silicon filler. Take your time writing down the connections/colours for each wire connection - it helps later on when fitting the new engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links