Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight Bulbs

aralph

HI,

I am considering changing the bulbs on my 2008 Avensis as the lights are dreadful, plan to change both main and dipped.

The two bulbs I am considering at the moment are:

Osram Night Breakers + 90% More light (£38.85 for both sets)

Ring xenon Max (£39.10 for both sets)

Has anyone tried these, I am aware that the Ring bulbs have reduced UV to protect the plastic lenses.

Does anyone know of any other decent bulbs.

My last car had Xenons which were fantastic, then going to the Avensis it sees a step back into the dark. My wife has had a fabia which I changed the bulbs on and now she has a Golf which has fantastic lights.

Cheers

Alan

Just purchased a hid conversion kit from e *** £54.00 for full kit 6000k h7 been in touch with them to confirm that it will not cause obc faults as many kits do on this year of car mine is a 2008 tr tourer, so i will post to let you know the result at the moment i have fitted 100w h7 bulbs but not much improvement tried all the rest night breakers ect but same result must be down to projector headlights. i am a taxi driver and work nights so good lights are in my opinion a must most high performance bulbs have uv protection as required by code but dont seem to last long but as i say my work could be to blame.

i myself chose to upgrade to Phillips Xtreme Power bulbs.

check out Auto Express review on bulb upgrades.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/prod...tbulb_test.html

they are a bit pricey, but i personally feel happier with them. i wouldnt go with Ring though.

also, take a look at www.powerbulbs.com thats where i got them from, and was happy with speed of service etc. think i got some free bright white sidebulbs with the order, see what theyre offering this time.

cheers

mike

I upgraded the main beam to Philips Xtreme Power & the dipped to Osram Nightbreakers (iirc Philips didn't do an Xtreme Power in that fitting).

You'll get more light in the defined area but it didn't really seem to increase the range at all for me.

I upgraded the main beam to Philips Xtreme Power & the dipped to Osram Nightbreakers (iirc Philips didn't do an Xtreme Power in that fitting).

You'll get more light in the defined area but it didn't really seem to increase the range at all for me.

Damn, that is what has just been despatched to me... :(

oh it's an improvement but on my car at least I still don't think that the head lights are as good as on my Omega (on the other hand I think that the front fogs are better on the Avensis).

I suspect that it's something to do with the light/lens design.

have fun changing the bulbs as imo it's a pain ...

yeah changing them is a nightmare. Ive got big hands so I don't even bother, as I cant get my hands down there. I took it to the local garage, they did it for me, bunged em a tenner. Took em about 15-20 mins to do dipped and side bulbs.

I honestly think you will see an improvement in the light output, you wont see a difference in the range of course as its down to the headlight design. Other cars are better for sure. My old vauxhalls were very good as another poster put. And I agree, the fogs are very good on the Avensis in my opinion.

Cheers - Mike

Does changing the bulbs have any affect on the Toyota warranty !! After the previous problems with Toyota bulbs melting in the holders it makes you wonder

But agree with you all I have never had a Toyota with decent headlights ?? Are the new Avensis any better ???

i have a hi-ace for work the lights on them are dreadful .like havening 2 candles in the lens think its about time a change them.

• 3 months later...
oh it's an improvement but on my car at least I still don't think that the head lights are as good as on my Omega (on the other hand I think that the front fogs are better on the Avensis).

I suspect that it's something to do with the light/lens design.

have fun changing the bulbs as imo it's a pain ...

I have read your post on replacing Avensis dipped headlight bulbs with interest.

Did you manage to change them without removing bumper and removing the light units?

I was hoping to fit 55W H7 Philips +80% next week. :rolleyes:

thanks for any advice/ help you can give

I have read your post on replacing Avensis dipped headlight bulbs with interest.

Did you manage to change them without removing bumper and removing the light units?

I was hoping to fit 55W H7 Philips +80% next week.

thanks for any advice/ help you can give

:unsure:

Actually its quite timely that this post has cropped up again.

I had bought the rather expensive Phillips bulbs as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Recently had some probs with them working, not coming on when I switch on the lights, usually ended up with me giving the headlamp a bang and hey presto they came on!

Finally they both stopped working. Quick trip to my local garage a couple of days ago, and their rather efficient electrics guy took a look, and found that the connectors were not connecting properly, not sitting snugly etc. This had in turn led to them blowing the bulbs. VERY annoying considering the cost of the bulbs and having had maybe a tad under 12 months use out of them!

He the went on to replace the connectors with new ones (non Toyota) and fitted new bulbs. He did say that he had already had another Avensis last week with the same problem. I also noted that he put in some standard bulbs, and I am very happy with the results.

so to summarise:

Get the connectors checked by someone you trust, maybe an independent auto electrical outfit, and then have the bulbs installed! This is a known problem with the headlamp units on some cars. There have been issues with the connectors melting etc.

Oh and bumper removal etc is NOT required, just some smaller hands to do the change.

Cheers!

at least on my 2007 you can replace the headlight/sidelight/indicator bulbs without removing the bumper or the whole light units themselves but it is decidedly fiddly.

I fitted xenon bulbs which gave me more light but I found that the dipped beams were set too low and I adjusted the beam up with the adjustment screw and they are much better.

Fitter

Some handy info on headlights people. Have just had my offside lamp die so i'll upgrade straight away. My problem is the windscreen washer filler sits right behind the lamp. So when I unclip it wont pull out. Anybody have any suggestions, ideas for hoiking it out?

Regards Dave O

I fitted xenon bulbs which gave me more light but I found that the dipped beams were set too low and I adjusted the beam up with the adjustment screw and they are much better.

mine were already adjusted properly (I have electric adjustment so it's easily checked/changed).

I stand by my statement that at least for me/my car I got noticeably higher light level in the beam pattern but visible range didn't noticeably increase.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links