Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flying In An Mr2...off The Road?

brndn

just increase the boost on the rev1 also.. then it still wins ... 

Lies! I want to have a quick race against you b4 we put the dasteks in. Wanna see how a rev1 with 15psi squares up against a rev4 with 13psi. Um gunna toast you! :arrgg-matey: :lol:

(for the record I raced a yellow rev1 with 14psi and he got beat but he said hes gettin actuactor probs..makes you wonder why he asked for a race in the first place :rolleyes: )

just increase the boost on the rev1 also.. then it still wins ...  :D

why?

better torque (curve ?.. is that what you call it ? ) .... + higher boost = obvious

just increase the boost on the rev1 also.. then it still wins ... 

Lies! I want to have a quick race against you b4 we put the dasteks in. Wanna see how a rev1 with 15psi squares up against a rev4 with 13psi. Um gunna toast you! :arrgg-matey: :lol:

(for the record I raced a yellow rev1 with 14psi and he got beat but he said hes gettin actuactor probs..makes you wonder why he asked for a race in the first place :rolleyes: )

if you like mate...

by then tho I'll have an uprated actuator and possibly water injection running at 17PSI.

but if you want a race.... oh well.. :D

I've got videos of STOCK Rev1 vs STOCK Rev3 .. about .5 of a second over the 1/4 mile .. It's quicker off the line and procedes to pull away over the full 1/4.

That's taking 13psi for the rev3 and 10psi for the rev1 ..

The differance is the AREA under the torque curve .. and the fact tat the Rev1/2 run outta puff about 5.5k rpm, where the Rev3+ pulls to red line ..

Yeah that's what I meant.....he said "just increase the boost" but you could do the same with the Gen III and actually have fuel maps to go with the increase ;)

I'd expect a near stock Gen III to beat a Gen II with increased boost and what not.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I'd expect a near stock Gen III to beat a Gen II with increased boost and what not.

Well well lol how brilliantly convenient that you say that kiwimr2!! I met up with a rev1tubby owner from a while back randomly in town tonight(just back!) He has increased boost to 15psi. Hes running a stock xhaust and aftermarket induction kit. We decided to check out how the cars were against each other as he heard a lot about how different rev3+ models are.

I have to say after a quick ride in his car I thought its either gonna be even or he will beat me(he thought mines will beat him after a shot in mine too)

We raced on a 10mph roll on start(didnt want to cook our clutches and after all we wanted a test between the different revisions not launch skill)

It was dead even in first but second I surged away we stopped once 4th gear hit. I was a car and a half length away. We did a motorway run from a 40mph 2nd gear roll on and again dead even till I pulled away at (no coincidence)5.5rpm odd and same in third + fourth.

And finally we wanted to see how quikly the CT26 rev1 turbo spools up compared to my CT20b. Its was pretty funny cos at 60mph in 4th he started pulling in front a car length away! But the funniest bit was when I caught up and flew past when my turbo finally decided to spool up :lol:

It was a great night and he was really really impressed with how much difference there is. The greatest difference was the fact that I have so much more power all the way to 7.2k. imo its the main reason I kept winning. It makes such a massive difference.

Was an extremely entertaining night (or morning gah! 4am :( )

Haha :D sounds like fun!! IMHO Toyota were quite conservative with the performance + potential of the Gen III MR2 Turbo and always took a conscientious approach when quoting performance figures....main reason for this was not to make the more expensive big brother the Supra look too bad.

I mean the Gen II is a great version....I don't regret owning one before my Gen III at all but the BEST value for money car to modify would have to be the GIII. Im really quite lucky i found the right group of guys to point me in the right direction with regards to mods etc and I'll always remeber my frustration in hearing them say "DONT" do such and such a mod to your Gen II as it will only work well for a while, but if you had a Gen III.........and it got to a point where I stopped after all the cheap basics and saved and waited patiently for a Gen III to come up.

It was hard to hold back but I did and Im glad I did as I ended up with a GREAT deal on my current ride.

Apart from the usual traffic light drags Im yet to put mine on the track but I HAVEN'T come across a Gen II that has bothered me, I had a bit of a play with a G-tec recently and with ONLY a cat-back exhaust, a pod filter + cold air box, running 14 psi I pulled a 13.7....and I bogged the launch, compare that to the R32 GTS-4 skyline that ran a 13.3 with a FULL 3 inch exhaust, external wastegate, R33 GTS-25T turbo running 15psi, a giant FMIC, and a link ecu.......how many thousands of $$ vs my less than a thousand couple of mods.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

As mentioned earlier in the post about torque hitting earlier in the NA MR2s.....Iv'e since found that the turbo gen 2 3SGTE peaks at around 3200rpm, and the gen 3 peaks around 4000rpm. Learn something new everyday :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

yeah .. I think all the cars have the same curve .. just moved up and down the revs (and therefore different BHP values)

As mentioned earlier in the post about torque hitting earlier in the NA MR2s.....Iv'e since found that the turbo gen 2 3SGTE peaks at around 3200rpm, and the gen 3 peaks around 4000rpm. Learn something new everyday

Yup I can back that up with my RR readout at about 4krpm to 4.5k the rev3+ actually hits 15psi lol! Altho only for 500rpm (spinout territory!)and settles to an even 13psi all the way to 7000rpm.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links