Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clamp Down On Modded Cars In Ireland

Bizarra

I just read the following in an on line news site. We have drug wars, murders etc & they are wasting police man power on this ? :angry: Glad I haven't spent a fortune modding mine :D

The Country is recession, if not broke, & they can find money to waste on this, while Hospitals are crying out for funds :(

Gardaí Planning Clampdown on Modified Cars

Written By: Karl Connolly, Posted: Thursday, August 6, 2009

An Garda Síochána is planning a clampdown on cars that are fitted with tinted windows and loud exhausts.

The Gardaí recently put advertisements up on the government e-tenders website seeking equipment that will enable them to conduct roadside exhaust-noise level and glass-tint tests on cars. At present, the maximum permitted exhaust noise on cars is 80 decibels; however, the Gardaí believe that most modified cars fitted with aftermarket exhaust systems exceed this limit. Similarly, Irish law states that the natural light/tint ratio in car windows must be at least 75/25 percent in windscreens and 70/30 percent in passenger windows. If caught with exhausts or tinted windows that exceed the legal limits, motorists will be warned by the Gardaí to put their vehicles right. If these warnings are ignored, however, motorists convicted in court can face fines of up to €2,500, or a possible three months in prison. Speaking about the new initiative, Assistant Garda Commissioner Eddie Rock said loud exhausts and tinted windows are “all part of the boy racer buzz.” Garda Rock also said that modified car enthusiasts will have the opportunity ‘to rectify their cars.’

I just read the following in an on line news site. We have drug wars, murders etc & they are wasting police man power on this ? :angry: Glad I haven't spent a fortune modding mine :D

The Country is recession, if not broke, & they can find money to waste on this, while Hospitals are crying out for funds :(

Honest to god, 3 month imprisonment for a bit of foil on your windscreen.. they should shoot themselves in their heads. :mad2:

the thing is, there are too many a**holes in stock motors with limo tints and massive exhausts ruining it for the rest of us.

everybody with a modified motor is considered a boy racer, :ffs:

Might as well ban car enthusiasts altogether at this rate - easy targets thats the problem :censor: Im hearing that this business of measuring noise is something that has to be done to strict criteria - ie the noise measuring equipment has to be so far away etc etc. Its a laugh - you can have a top spec Honda Fireblade, A big :censor: Harely of some sort or any type of motorbike you care to mention - and theyre louder then most cars even a lot of the modified cars. So if noise is that big of a problem - ban motorbikes as well - i don't agree with banning motorbikes - but if your saying that noise from modified cars is such a problem - that it has to be clamped down on - and such a stupidly low limit imposed - then fairness would dictate that motorbikes would have to comply with the 80 dicibel limit. Of course im going to be told - ah yes but motorbikes don't get driven hard around built up areas at 2 in the morning - well id say then noise is not the issue - its folk revving the backside out of their cars at 2 in the morning - change the anti social behaviour laws so that revving the backside out of your car unneccessarly in a build up area - could lead to a prosecuction - lets bring in an offence of driving in an anti social manner - educate people who don't know better - on the correct way to drive in a built up area at 2 in the morning

Red diesel

Im not sure how they can arrive at an 80 decibel limit, in the UK, as far as I can tell, there is no limit on the decibels for cars, there is on Mopeds and Motorbikes. In the UK it is illegal to have an exhaust noisier than a "Standard" exhaust, whatever that is.

At 80 DB There are going to be a lot of failures, and if you have a standard exhaust that happens to be louder than 80DB, what happens then? Can you go back to your dealer and get a new one? I doubt it very much

I am all for clamping down on noisy exhausts, tinting, dodgy number plates, bad driving etc AFTER you have investigated the more serious crimes going on in life :wacko:

Kingo :thumbsup:

At 80 DB There are going to be a lot of failures, and if you have a standard exhaust that happens to be louder than 80DB, what happens then? Can you go back to your dealer and get a new one? I doubt it very muc

Yep, 80db is very low. My Aygo was sound-tested at the track on Saturday and came out at 83db---stock engine and exhaust.

80db is half the volume of 90db due to the way the decibel scale works, and 90db is perfectly ok on track. You wouldn't think it was that loud.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
there is on Mopeds and Motorbikes.
Any more info on this. On my street there are a couple of chavs who drive them round and round while I sleep.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links