Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mating A J160 To A 2jz

Leeky

I doubt anyone will be able to help me.....but im hoping that someone very technically minded will wonder in :lol:

I just need to know where i can get a bellhousing or conversion plate to mate a J160 6 Speed Box to a 2JZ-GE.

I know the gearbox is small and weak but for my high rpm application it would be perfect.

I've searched the net and nobody seems to do it... :( HELP!!

As usual there is a jammy wagon wheel for anyone who can help ;)

Maybe it would be easyest to get some machine shop or racing shop to nodify the bellhousin so you can get that gear box in use.

first you need to check how much input shaft you have to play with. then get a 10mm plate made that bolts to the engine and then has threaded holes for the transmission, you need to ensure that the input shaft has enough length to accommodate a 10mm spacer though. you can make a template from card and take it to any where that cuts sheet steel.

sounds like an interesting project though

The problem with the J160, like the V160 is that it doesn't have a seperate beeeellhousing as such, the flanged end bit is part of the actual transmission casing, its not like the much more universal R and W series gearboxes.

If you need 6 gears your best bet will be the expensive V160....

In all honesty for your application I think your money would be better spent on sticking to a decent W58 and running with a shorter final drive. Like on my 1G supra the shorter gearing will make up for the lower torque, but you'll not lose out horribly on top end as you will have the extended rev range to compensate (again like my 1G supra).

A few of the M3 guys are fitting shorter final drives and say the diifference is day and night, the only reason it wasn't done from the factory was it put an extra gear change in before 60, although "real world application" it makes the car way faster...

Cheers guys.

The problem is, i cant find a w58 ANYWHERE :(

I've contacted hundreds of breakers, tuning shops forum members..... nothing out there at the mo.

I've seen a mk3 supra w58 but i would still need the bellhousing....its weaker than a mk4 w58 and the input/output shafts may be different anyway.

The only mk4 w58 i've seen is in Lithuania! :rolleyes: He wants £300 plus shipping!

I can get a low mileage J160 for under £100. At least then i would have 6 gears which would be ideal for a high RPM application.

Im not worried about prop as i can use the place that did my ma61 v8 prop.

Its just the bellhousing that worries me.

The J160 Bellhousing does come off Charlie (well at least the ones i've seen does), its only the V160 thats a one piece as far as im aware.

Stacey gave me the details of a shop that would take two bellhousings and make me up a new one for £400...so i guess inc gearbox £500 isnt too bad...

Plus its never been done before putting a J160 onto a supra (as far as i know) :)

I got a W58 ECU, i doubt the ecu will care if there is a 6th gear there will it?

I don't know any of the models you are talking about, but can you rob an IS200 box? It's not as if you haven't had a custom drivershaft made before.

Lowering the final drive is a common mod in the S2k world too. I looked into it, but dropping the top end by 10/15% means that motorway speeds the engine is well up the rev range.

I **really** don't like the idea of lowering the FD.

I wanted to up the power and increase the final drive. Means better acceleration at high speed too as you are in a lower gear.

Hey dude, yeah the J160 is the IS200 box. Readily available and cheap as chips.

From my research they are as stong as the W58 (essentially it replaced the w58) and are light so great for revs.

I think this is the route im going to go down.

I'll send both bellhousings off to the machine shop so that they can make me a new one and i'll get my prop redone to fit.

Standard W58 LSD will be perfect for the J160 ratios.

Jobs a goodun :)

getragj160uz7.jpg

In that case it must have the longest input shaft in the world.

I looked at this conversion for my 1G but the wierdly shaped long funnelled end put me off.

Ben I'm not sure what the stock S2k final drive is like... but the M one is so long when I was driving to Germany I had to keep on knocking it down to fifth as Paul didn't like cruising at over 75 in the Aygo, and 6th is too long for that speed. I'm guessing the factroy final Drive on the S2000 is much shorter. Oddly enough the (delimited) top speed is not affected in the M Either as it would see 185 before the limiter in 6th, -in stock gearing it'd apparently top put about there anyway.

Toyota Auto boxes tend to be mated with longer final drives than thier manual counter parts, hence the suggestion :)

The FD in the S2000 enabled something like 179mph @ 9000rpm .. so a 15% reduction drags it down to 150ish.

The (stock) car would run out of power about 150ish anyhow.

So 90mph was at 4500. Off the 2nd cam and not too bad to drive. My swap point was something like 5500rpm, so 110mph before the swap in 6th. Ment nice economical cruising at 90/100mph as it was all off cam (and low boost).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links