Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 2.0d Cut Out And Won't Start.

alanshep

Hello.

This car belongs to a friend. She was driving it the other day when it just cut out on her and now will not start.

I've had a very quick look at it.

The glow plug light does not come on at all - she thinks it was working as normal until the car stopped. I've also noticed that the 'water in fuel' light is on.

Does anybody know where the relevant fuses/relays are located for the glow plugs and also the location of the fuel cut off solenoid.

Would normally go out and buy a Haynes but looks like one isn't available for the diesel corolla.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Alan

Hello.

This car belongs to a friend. She was driving it the other day when it just cut out on her and now will not start.

I've had a very quick look at it.

The glow plug light does not come on at all - she thinks it was working as normal until the car stopped. I've also noticed that the 'water in fuel' light is on.

Does anybody know where the relevant fuses/relays are located for the glow plugs and also the location of the fuel cut off solenoid.

Would normally go out and buy a Haynes but looks like one isn't available for the diesel corolla.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Alan

If the water in fuel light is on then there's contamination in the diesel. If you undo the drain tap on the bottom of the fuel filter it will drain out all the water from the filter as the diesel sits on top of the water. Let the gunge run out until just diesel pours out. It should start after a bit of turning over.

Just a bit of an update.

Went out to it this morning and checked every fuse in the fuse box next to the steering wheel. All fuses were ok but when I turned the ignition on after checking the fuses the glow plug light came on together with an 'engine shaped' light and the water in fuel light.

Tried to start it and it fired straight up. Stopped and started it a few times and everything was ok.

Then tried to take it for a test drive and it cut out after about 20 yards. Again the glow plug light would not come on and it would not re-start.

So back to where I started - no glow plug light and no starting.

Have drained the fuel filter but this has not cleared the 'water in fuel' light.

Starting to suspect some kind of electrical fault but have no wiring diagrams.

Anybody know what needs to be healthy in order for the glow plug light to come on?

Just a bit of an update.

Went out to it this morning and checked every fuse in the fuse box next to the steering wheel. All fuses were ok but when I turned the ignition on after checking the fuses the glow plug light came on together with an 'engine shaped' light and the water in fuel light.

Tried to start it and it fired straight up. Stopped and started it a few times and everything was ok.

Then tried to take it for a test drive and it cut out after about 20 yards. Again the glow plug light would not come on and it would not re-start.

So back to where I started - no glow plug light and no starting.

Have drained the fuel filter but this has not cleared the 'water in fuel' light.

Starting to suspect some kind of electrical fault but have no wiring diagrams.

Anybody know what needs to be healthy in order for the glow plug light to come on?

The Glow plug relay is situated on the right hand side of the engine bay towards the back of the engine bay to the right of the turbo. It's a black and grey (I think) box about 1 inch square. You could try replacing this or exchanging it for one that you know works as this controls your glowplugs.

Have checked glow plug relay - looks in good condition and operates ok off the car on a 12v supply.

This morning I went my local parts shop for some advice - he immediately suggested trying a new fuel filter. Bought one and fitted it this afternoon but the car is no better.

The thing that seems strange is that nothing I have done so far has cleared the 'water in fuel' light - this comes on every time I turn on the ignition - even with the connector to the fuel filter disconnected!

When I had the fuel filter off I checked the float device in the bottom and this seems ok (makes continuity as the float rises).

When the car was running briefly yesterday as I recall 3 orange lights came on when the igntiion was turned on - the glow plug light, the water in fuel light and an engine shaped light. The glow plug light went off after a few seconds and then the car would start. I think the other 2 lights then extinguished.

Is this a normal sequence - would you normally expect the 'water in fuel' light to come on immediately prior to starting and then extinguish once the car is running?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted.

Found that there was no +B signal at the diagnostic connector under the bonnet. I believe this is a positive supply to the ECU which should be present when the ignition is turned on.

Checked through the wiring using a Haynes book as a guide (the Haynes covers only the petrol versions but the wiring diagrams were surprisingly quite useful). The +B signal comes from the EFI relay in the fuse box under the bonnet.

I found that although the relay was operating the output voltage was not getting to the diagnostic connector or to the ECU. Used a link wire to connect the relay output back to the diagnostic connector and ECU and hey presto the car works properly.

Whereas before only the 'water in fuel' light was coming on - now the engine management light and glow plug light come on.

The glow plug light extinguishes after a short time and once the car is started so do the 'water in fuel' and engine management light.

Alan

• 2 years later...

Sorted.

Found that there was no +B signal at the diagnostic connector under the bonnet. I believe this is a positive supply to the ECU which should be present when the ignition is turned on.

Checked through the wiring using a Haynes book as a guide (the Haynes covers only the petrol versions but the wiring diagrams were surprisingly quite useful). The +B signal comes from the EFI relay in the fuse box under the bonnet.

I found that although the relay was operating the output voltage was not getting to the diagnostic connector or to the ECU. Used a link wire to connect the relay output back to the diagnostic connector and ECU and hey presto the car works properly.

Whereas before only the 'water in fuel' light was coming on - now the engine management light and glow plug light come on.

The glow plug light extinguishes after a short time and once the car is started so do the 'water in fuel' and engine management light.

Alan

hello mate.. i have exactly the same symptoms as you (no glow plug light and water in fuel light on). Was wondering if you could help me abit. i'v tested the +B terminal on the diagnostics plug and theres a strong 12v at that. could you abit more specific in what you done with the loop wire?

many thans.. tom.

try new fuel filter and changing all 4 glow plugs for new ones, what is the mileage on the car? throw some forte diesel system cleaner, fill up with good quality shell/bp fuel and go for a blast on the motorway, get the engine and peripherals warm and working at some decent speed. turbo diesels can't handle loads of town driving using supermarket fuels without regular motorway runs...

Don't worry about the glow plugs; They aren't really needed until winter really sets in. I can start mine without waiting for the glowplugs to finish heating!

I'd check the fuel filter and the water trap first.

alanshep's problem was a bit of an unusual one (Major kudos for finding the problem!!) but generally the water-in-fuel light should mean just that. There is a section in the manual on how to deal with that IIRC. (i.e. draining the water trap)

checked every fuse imaginable and all seems ok, and also if i disconect the cable off the fuel filter the (water in fuel) light is still on. So something isnt getting juice somewhere.

I can start mine without waiting for the glowplugs to finish heating!

We all can but if they weren't needed then they wouldn't be there. when i first got my car i use to ignore the glowplug having changed from petrol to diesel this resulted in a check engine light and lucky just 4 new glowplugs...could have been much worse.

• 8 years later...

I have a Toyota Corolla 2.0D. no dash lights comes on when switching on the ignition. I've checked the Battery voltage it 12.75V. when I jump start the vehicle by putting the positive cable onto my vehicle and I touch the engine with the negative of the jumper cable, it gives off a spark but then the dash lights comes on and the vehicle starts. But when I switch the vehicle off and try to start it after removing the jumper cable. I then took the negative cable of the jumper cable connected it to the negative of the Battery and I clamped the other end of the cable to the engine the car starts and switches off without any problem. What can be the fault? Can I make and fit a loop cable from the Battery negative to the engine? It would seem to me that the negative connection from the body of the car to the engine is faulty. Is it safe for me to make the connection from the battery negative directly to the engine.

Thankyou

Arno

Hi,

Do not know the wiring of your 2012 model, but generally from the Battery negative terminal there are two main cables, one usually running to the top of the gearbox.engine block and one to the side of the bodywork behind the Battery.

It could be one of those cables are damaged or more likely the connection points have become corroded, unbolting them and cleaning usually cures that problem, also check and clean those cables at the Battery terminal end as well as the positive terminal connections,

You say turning the ignition switch on, the dash light do not come on, but what happens when you turn the switch further to activate the starter motor, does it crank ?

I have this non-starting problem on a 1600 Corolla year 2000. Runs fine when working but suddenly is dead when trying to start. Also shorts the Battery. Have spent much dosh on batteries and our very good local garage who are totally baffled.

34 minutes ago, Bill Gayler said:

I have this non-starting problem on a 1600 Corolla year 2000. Runs fine when working but suddenly is dead when trying to start. Also shorts the battery. Have spent much dosh on batteries and our very good local garage who are totally baffled.

Your problem sounds rather different to the original question on a diesel car.

You say its dead, but do you mean nothing happens at all when you switch on the ignition or turn on the starter motor ?

Also not sure exactly what you mean by 'shorts the battery'  to do that you would probably be seeing smoke !  the only thing likey to be able to do such a thing, heavily shorting the Battery would be the starter motor or its solenoid without causing an immediate  fire or cable burnout...?

How many batteries have you fitted,  were they actually damaged, unable to be recharged ??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links