Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Gauge Do Not Show Full

Gemlin

My fuel gauge shows that the tank is about 85% full when I fill the tank to 100%. It is a bit annoying to not have a fuel gauge that works correct. What can cause the problem? Could it be the fuel level sending unit that should be replaced? Any other ideas, anyone.

Funny, but my fuel gauge shows constantly too much when the tank is full. I need to drive about 150-200 km before it dips just below the top mark. Seems to me like it's not very accurate.

How much fuel do you have to fill when the fuel lights comes on? It should be around 40-45 liter... if it's less, then the fuel meter might be faulty.

Funny, but my fuel gauge shows constantly too much when the tank is full. I need to drive about 150-200 km before it dips just below the top mark. Seems to me like it's not very accurate.

How much fuel do you have to fill when the fuel lights comes on? It should be around 40-45 liter... if it's less, then the fuel meter might be faulty.

About 35-40 liter .... I ususally check the tripmeter instead of looking at the "not so accurate" fuel gauge.

Anybody else who have fuel gauge accurate observations.

About 35-40 liter .... I ususally check the tripmeter instead of looking at the "not so accurate" fuel gauge.

Anybody else who have fuel gauge accurate observations.

Hi Gemlin,

I had an issue with the fuel gauge on my 2005 Corolla which was fixed under warranty lucky, if I had a full tank of fuel or 3/4 full the gauge would randomly display empty whiles driving until I turned stop the engine (turned off ignition and restarted for gauge to display the real fuel level). The issue was fixed due to a faulty fuel sensor.

Not sure if this helps but again could be the fuel sensor :P

• 2 weeks later...

I have also thought that there must be a sensor somewhere that might be faulty.

How do you exchange the fuel sensor. Is it an easy job?

Is the sensor avaialable as a separate unit so you don't have to exchange the whole fuel pump?

It does sound like the sender unit is faulty - might even be the float unit partially filled with fuel giving a false reading or corroded terminals on the pump connector.

The Sender unit can be removed from the fuel pump assembly and is quite easy to do - inspection cover/access cover for the fuel pump is under the rear seat.

You can manually operate the float arm with the pump removed to see if the gauge goes right up to the Full mark.

Mick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links