Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Parking Sensors Not Beeping :(

Speed_Chaser

I am done with my audio-reinstall where I cleaned everything up, developed custom enclosure for my subwoofer, made my player to fit better into it's socket etc etc. After putting everything together I noticed one problem: rear parking sensors aren't beeping anymore. Can I check the situation myself or do I have to get my car to the dealer? I think it has something to do with the speaker which gives the signal as I did not find any place to put my warning triangle and the black tool bag to, so I put them where my jack is (to the "locker" by opening which you can change the rear bulbs). On that same "locker" is the speaker, it's pretty high there though but I could've easily reached it with tool bag or warning triangle when putting them in vertical position in there. I did not find any broken wires when I tried locating the problem.

During my project I did also open the front panel everywhere arond and below the speedo. But nothing suspicious did happen there so I think the problem is in the rear part of my car... Also I would have noticed if I broke some of those thick wires in the front. But on the rear those black/red cables are very thin. What do you think guys?

Thanks, Alex

I know this may be obvious but might be worth checking.

When you select reverse do you get one or two beeps? In my Verso there is a parking sensor disable switch (to turn the sensors off when towing), when this is off and you select reverse you only get one beep.

In my Verso the switch is behind the panel for replacing rear light bulbs and easy to knock when removing or stowing to boot cover.

This is very good point herstsnminds, thank you!

I have been thinking about this too but did not know where exactly that switch is. Actually I thought that it's more an extra option than something installed automatically together with parking sensors, as it is priced separately on Toyota's exra equipment list and it costs 40 more euros if you want that switch. I did

not order is as I do not have the need to tow anything, but I will check the beeps out as I've read somewhere on this forum before that people do have

those switches even they haven't ordered them separately.

Best regards, Alex

I went out after having my breakfast and OMG :blink: only one beep! I went back in to read what does it mean as I did not remember the amount of beeps when the sensors are switched off and found out that I still have hope and probably haven't broke anything with my big hands :lol: So now what, where will I find that switch and how does it look like? Looked behind that panel yesterday and did not see it. Maybe it's there and I should look one more time, but have other things to do now so will have to do that later today. I will post on here as soon as I'll find anything new, please feel free to post too if you're able to help with locating the swtich.

Hope the problem is really in the swtich and not with the cables which I snapped and now it seems that "switch is off" :P

Best regards, Alex

Haha I got it now, that parking sensor ON/OFF button was inside the trunk itself, not behind any cover. Now I think I remember some conversation on this forum about that exact button, as I told you I remembered something about it before, but now I remember it more clearly.

I got a totally different view when I went sitting INSIDE the trunk to see better behind that cover and saw that button I've seen thousands of times and been wondering what is it's mission... During my project I even tried pressing it and checked wether it'll affect on trunk's locking mechanism :eek: Now we all know how I managed to mess up the setup :lol: Everything's cool now :)

The thing which is most obvious to you may be total surprise to someone else hertsnminds, so thanks for an obvious tip which kinda helped! :yes:

Best regards, Alex

this is a very common problem,and the switch can be basicly be anywhere in the boot as its upto the person fitting the sensors to put it in.

just a clue though it will be somewhere fairly close to the reverse light as this is where the parking sensor control module gets it power from.

hope this helps in the future

The thing which is most obvious to you may be total surprise to someone else hertsnminds, so thanks for an obvious tip which kinda helped!
I am glad my experience helped another owner. I found out about the switch in my first week of Verso ownership when I took the car back to the dealer to find out why the parking sensors had stopped working :blushing: To be fair the switch and its function are described in the owners handbook, so I should have read it more carefully.

The thing which is most obvious to you may be total surprise to someone else hertsnminds, so thanks for an obvious tip which kinda helped!
I am glad my experience helped another owner. I found out about the switch in my first week of Verso ownership when I took the car back to the dealer to find out why the parking sensors had stopped working :blushing: To be fair the switch and its function are described in the owners handbook, so I should have read it more carefully.

Hehe I was also considering wether to go to my dealer or not, luckily I decided to wait and try sorting it out on my own :)

Best regards, Alex

• 9 years later...

Hi I have just bought a new Yaris icon tech with reversing camera. Should it beep when I reverse??  Thanks. 

You probably have guidelines on the camera image which you use to judge proximity to objects - no audible warning.

1 hour ago, Hrj said:

Hi I have just bought a new Yaris icon tech with reversing camera. Should it beep when I reverse??  Thanks. 

Hi Helen, welcome to TOC 🙂

If it is camera only & no sensors then probably not. I note that only front sensors are an option on that grade & above probably because it has the rear camera already.

I suspect that a good dealer could sort you out with rear sensors if you wanted (a good auto-electrician could certainly sort you out with aftermarket & probably much cheaper but then you run the risk of Toyota not covering any consequential damage under warranty in the, admittedly very minor chance, event of a fault with those).

Hi, I don't have a Yaris.  But on older Auris models (and maybe newer ones, too) there is a reverse beep sound that the car makes when reverse is engaged.  This is on cars fitted with reverse sensors and also those without.

On the Auris (and maybe the Yaris?), there are two modes of beep the car can use:-

1. A single beep when reverse is selected.

Or,

2. A repeating beep when reverse is selected that continues, ad nauseum, for as long as you are in reverse.  This sound is very similar to the sound that other car's reverse sensors make, which is somewhat confusing to a new owner.  Also, the frequency and pitch of the beeps does not change if you are near an obstacle.  On the Auris, strangely, this is the default setting from the factory. Many people find this mode very irritating, but not everyone.

A dealer can change between these two modes using their diagnostic computer, it takes less than 5 minutes.

Perhaps your new Yaris is similar.  If it is then this 'feature' is likely mentioned at the back of the full owner's manual, which you can download from Toyota  here:-  https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

They don't give paper versions with the car anymore.

10 minutes ago, Gerg said:

They don't give paper versions with the car anymore.

Probably be able to order a printed full owners manual from a Toyota dealer, although the price will be around £30 due to the low print volumes.

• 3 years later...

anybody have a problem with the switch being off,dont know how I manage it ,knee or hand no idea. even during a service some plonker backed it into a wall [no damage] but it is annoying.