Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pump Oil

jospom

There have been cases of failure to pump oil rav 4.2? Link to read?

There have been cases of failure to pump oil rav 4.2? Link to read?

Say some more jospom - I think this is lost in google translation. ;)

What happened to my friend

"Hi all,

I was going on vacation and the oil light came on, I decreased speed to stop at the side of the road but after 10 seconds the engine light came on and the engine started vibrating and making a strange noise. I stopped immediately and checked for oil leakage (none), engine temperature (normal), other leaks (none), engine oil level (a little low but there was some). I called the towing truck and took it to a mechanic who without even looking at the engine (after I described the symptoms) said that the oil pump had broken and that the engine would probably have to be replaced! Obvioulsy I didn't leave the car with them (even though he could be right about the oil pump as it makes sense) and had it towed back home for 400km. To your knowledge, how do I check if the oil pump is broken and what sort of damage could there be if it had failed? It is a Rav4 4.2 2000cc petrol auto with 90000kms.

Thanks for any input."

What happened to my friend

"Hi all,

I was going on vacation and the oil light came on, I decreased speed to stop at the side of the road but after 10 seconds the engine light came on and the engine started vibrating and making a strange noise. I stopped immediately and checked for oil leakage (none), engine temperature (normal), other leaks (none), engine oil level (a little low but there was some). I called the towing truck and took it to a mechanic who without even looking at the engine (after I described the symptoms) said that the oil pump had broken and that the engine would probably have to be replaced! Obvioulsy I didn't leave the car with them (even though he could be right about the oil pump as it makes sense) and had it towed back home for 400km. To your knowledge, how do I check if the oil pump is broken and what sort of damage could there be if it had failed? It is a Rav4 4.2 2000cc petrol auto with 90000kms.

Thanks for any input."

hello JOSPOM

what the oil level was before jorney? have you checked it? you do not sate anything about.

there are two oil alerts available -- oil level and oil pressure. which one in your case?

what was the level in the coolant expantion tank? (plastic located above the alternator with rose coloured liquid). and what is an actual coolant colour in expantion tank?

As to the pump - it like the heart that transfers blood - -but in this case this is an oil.

The oil is used to lubricacte all bearings; VVT-i system; shafts (crank + cams); pistons cooling; lubricacting of liners etc etc.

now you can imagine the risc of this pump failure. May be you had another problem with steam plugs in the cooling circuit resulting the engine overheating?

yes you stated the cooling temp was OK. Now there might be some other reasons of this bad result and this can only be examinated after the engine is dismantled. Cheers/Igor

if the pump has failed you already have damaged your engine and will need a rebuild so just to make sure it IS the pump,top up your oil level and start the car,if it rattles clanks and bangs its game over,if it was damaged before its already screwed so no extra loss,grab the bull by the horns and start it up and pray

Other possibility is the pressure relief valve is letting the oil return to the sump. You can check with a pressure gauge as shown here (diesel shown but the process is the same);

oil.pdf

and the pressure is shown here;

rav4_gasoline.pdf

If you are not competent get some help because as HEMI says if you run the engine with no oil pressure it will soon cause damage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links