Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Transfer Box

starman

Hi

Just changed the oil in enigne, gearbox and back axle in my N reg Rav 4. Was going to do transfer box but Maunual suggests that only automatics have these. Mine is a manual. Am I right in thinking that I don't have one. Had a good look and can't see anything that looks like one.

Thanks

Dave

I believe so but I am not at all familiar so just wait for Bothy or one of the other 4.1 guys.

from what i know that is correct the whole 5 liters of the stuff, if you measure how much came out and how much went in if its about the same or more that went in then it should be fine.

all 4wd motors have a transfer box,it has to transfer the drive from FWD to 4WD somehow,I'm not sure if the 4.1 is the same as a 4.2 but the 4.2 transfer box is situated on the gearbox bulkhead side and sort of overhangs the engine.You need to get underneath to see it.I'll see if I've got some pics somewhere

The 4.1 has a transfer box but it shares the gearbox fluid unless I'm wrong and I have no fluid in there just in the gearbox

I'm not sure on the 4.1's but my 4.2's transfer box had to be topped up slightly,so we're assuming that they do share the oil with the gearbox but as the transfer box is lower than the gearbox not all of the oil came out when we took the box out(if you get what I mean,lol)and some remained in the transfer box,my mate has a 4.1 and when I next see her I shall have a look at her box,ooer missus

Err, not the same oil reservoir and not the same oil grade on a 4.2;

rav4_diesel.pdf

Not familiar with a 4.1 so would be speculating.

Thanks for the replies guys and for the photos Hemi. I'll take another look at the weekend just to make sure.

Dave

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links