Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Suspension

LCPete

Hi is the Yaris prone to front suspension bush problems ?

its a 2005 old model D4D

On its first MOT last september year they replaced the bushes and I think they have gone again as I can hear a knocking from the front left hand side.

Its done about 5K miles since then (20K in total)

Its going in for its MOT again in a couple of weeks I will mention it to the garage

I guess its the speed bumps that they are sticking up everywhere although I do go over them as slow as possible

Pete

Hi is the Yaris prone to front suspension bush problems ?

its a 2005 old model D4D

On its first MOT last september year they replaced the bushes and I think they have gone again as I can hear a knocking from the front left hand side.

Its done about 5K miles since then (20K in total)

Its going in for its MOT again in a couple of weeks I will mention it to the garage

I guess its the speed bumps that they are sticking up everywhere although I do go over them as slow as possible

Pete

Bushes do perish quickly an these but most people recon they just need changing if they are loose/clunky. the rubbers always rot and get mentioned at mot time, whilst still passing it!

I owned 2 Yaris over a period of 6 years, only ever had to replace the bushes once on one of them, but i have heard they are a weak spot on these cars, i think as you say speed bumps don't help

Not sure which bushes your on about but if they are the anti roll bar linkages which are known to fail i replaced mine at 58k and the previous owner replaced at 30k so bearing that in mind you may have had something else repaired the last time as they should not fail in 5 thousand miles. But then again the garage may not have done anything and this is why you have this problem now? Knocking is what i found from mine, if you dont mind lying under the car tug each side where the upper arm meets the caliper area it looks like a bolt with rubber bushes, if there is any play or metal to metal squeking then they are shot.

In my case i had the knocking noise and the linkage had sheared making it difficult to remove, best taking it to a small garage unless under warranty from where you bought it from?

The joys of motoring :D

My ARB bushes are still the originals, 9yrs and 79k with them, bit perished but still solid, no play at all.

Wouldn't say there a common fault but some do seem to wear faster for some strange reason?? :unsure:

My ARB bushes are still the originals, 9yrs and 79k with them, bit perished but still solid, no play at all.

Wouldn't say there a common fault but some do seem to wear faster for some strange reason?? :unsure:

You maybe lucky and have very little speed humps, but having seen these things first hand they are not the most solid items (the linkage that is) and its no wonder they fail. Mine was fine with perished rubber but if the linkage snaps in half then its a very different story, this is when you know something is wrong with your car in a big way.

It is still driveable in this state but not so reasuring, best to fix asap. ;)

Our SR's ARB drop links were replaced at 50k as it was clonking over speed bumps. It was easy and cheap to do and tightened up the front end nicely.

If they are perished then get them changed. The handling is sharper once they're replaced.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2005 Yaris 1,4 D-4D has now done 109.000 km (68.000 miles) and the only bushes i've replaced are the antirollbar linkages. They were dead at aproxx. 90.000 km, which is pretty good, regarding my very hard driving style... I drive trackdays 2-3 times a year, so with that in mind, i'm very satisfied with the stability of the original bushes.

I've ordered a complete set of TRD-bushes, Whiteline rear swaybar kit + TRD Rear Member Brace from Fensport, but these parts are not due to be changed, before spring 2010... I hate winter! :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links