Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dreaded Dmf

rambler

hi folks

my rav4 vin number is....JTEYG20V500002862.

it was first registered on 27th sept 2002,but how can i find out when it was manufactured please? as i guess they stand for a while whilst they are being sold.

or if it was built with an updated DMF.

can anyone assist please.

rambler

hi folks

it was first registered on 27th sept 2002,but how can i find out when it was manufactured please? as i guess they stand for a while whilst they are being sold.

rambler

Hi Rambler,

This any help?

LINK

Well, if you are willing to believe the version of the Toyota Parts catalogue I have, it reckons it was built 09/2001. So, it was standing a long while. I'm kind of surprised by that.

As a check, if I feed my old 4.2 VIN into the catalogue that comes out as 2 months between production and registration, which is probably about right and all the dates tie up OK.

The DMF update was from production Aug 2002. The "from" VINS are listed on the first post of anchorman's Pined DMF thread.

hi folks

rambler

Hi Rambler,

This any help?

LINK

hi davrav

many thanks for your reply,but tricky to find info i want,seems well hidden in their somewhere.

cheers anyway

Well, if you are willing to believe the version of the Toyota Parts catalogue I have, it reckons it was built 09/2001. So, it was standing a long while. I'm kind of surprised by that.

As a check, if I feed my old 4.2 VIN into the catalogue that comes out as 2 months between production and registration, which is probably about right and all the dates tie up OK.

The DMF update was from production Aug 2002. The "from" VINS are listed on the first post of anchorman's Pined DMF thread.

hi shcm

many thanks for all that,seems im doomed to have a failure as well.... :crybaby:

but my rav is still covered by its extended guarantee :yes: ,until somtime during october,but my local dealership will try and whine their way out of it somehow...they always do if its going to cost them money...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :angry::angry:

i must try anyway...and soon

thanks

hi folks

rambler

Hi Rambler,

This any help?

LINK

That is an excellent link,I just entered my wifes RAV vin number in and it seems it was stood somewhere for 2 months,interestingly though if I change the last number of the vin number by 1 either way both of "these" cars are left hand drive,wierd or what?

[

That is an excellent link,I just entered my wifes RAV vin number in and it seems it was stood somewhere for 2 months,interestingly though if I change the last number of the vin number by 1 either way both of "these" cars are left hand drive,wierd or what?

The last five digits are the 'unique vehicle serial number' so any change of digit in those five will come up with a different, specific, vehicle.

The other twelve digits, presumably, would be the same for any similar model made in the same month of the same year at the same factory and in the same colour [i think]

Yes but isnt it strange that the number before and after are both left hand drives,presumably they were built in order??not sure though

Yes but isnt it strange that the number before and after are both left hand drives,presumably they were built in order??not sure though

Yes and no about it being odd.

I remember when I visited the Vauxhall factory in Luton about ten years ago I was told that the cars were being made to order. As a customer placed an order with a dealer this was sent to central processing in europe and then on to the relevant factory electronically. Info. was then rogrammed onto a transponder attached to the sled carrying the floor pan on the production line.

As the sled travelled along the line the transponder was interrogated with reference to the specific variant and computer screens showed the operatives, which bits of trim etc to fit. They were producing all sorts of variants and even Holdens on the same line.

Gone are the days of making batches of cars I suspect.

It's all about JIT [just in time] and not having too many vehicles standing around. The fact that your car sat around for a couple of months could be explained by a dealer ordering in anticipation of a sale maybe.

This shows how the VIN No is made up. You only have to add the last 6 digits for the actual serial or production number and as Dave says they will be coming off in all the worldwide variants so one could be a RHD diesel and the next a LHD V6 for the USA etc, etc.

Model_Code__2_.pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links