Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.33 Auris Gear Selection?

The Pieman

Hi all,

I am a new member with a 1.6TR, who is looking to change.

Went down and test drove the 1.33 and have to say Toyota have lost the plot!

OK, so the engine stops in standing traffic, and the engine unit weighs less...but which market is this car aimed at?

The six forward gears are unnecessary,IMO, five did the job, for the 1.4.

If you are getting older like myself, it becomes difficult to remember which gear you are in, and changing through the box is trial and error...was I in 3rd, or 6th, am I now in 4th or is this fifth???????

It's a sloppy box too.

I think they have taken saving fuel, and cutting emmisions too far for a big car.

My current car has never, no matter how carefully speed wise I have driven, met even close to the MPG they say it will produce. Not even on motorway driving, and despite having it back in the dealership.......

so all i can do is take these figs on the 1.33 with a pinch of salt.

Can anyone comment on fuel efficiency on the 1.4 which this model replaced?

and does anyone else agree, about this gear box?

Mike

imho 6th is defiantly needed for the m-way and i've driven the 1.33.

It is very common for most cars driven on a mixture of roads to get at least 10% less than the stated consumption. What Car did a fairly comprehensive review of many models in the last issue and the average for all vehicles tested was 10-12% less.

My t180 is currently doing 43mpg when it should do 45mpg, but on hilly roads it drops to 40/41mpg and in winter its 38mpg. You will never hit the stated average.

I know i got mid 40's in the 1.33 i drove which i thought was fairly impressive and it didn't feel much different from the 1.6 unless you hit the top of the power band. So it is slower on the m-way and ultimate hard acceleration power but great in town / a-roads as anything less than about 4k RPM feels the same as the 1.6.

I must say i quite liked the numb feeling of the box, there was no harshness like i get on my t180.

Sorry for the difference of opinion but i agree about the engine cut out, i'd hate that to be on a turbo diesel. The thought of the engine cutting out after a long high speed m-way cruise when stuck in traffic is nightmarish. All that extremely hot oil not pumping and dissipating the heat from the turbo. Not to mention the stresses on the oil pump, fuel pump, start motor, Battery etc.

Hi all,

I am a new member with a 1.6TR, who is looking to change.

Went down and test drove the 1.33 and have to say Toyota have lost the plot!

OK, so the engine stops in standing traffic, and the engine unit weighs less...but which market is this car aimed at?

The six forward gears are unnecessary,IMO, five did the job, for the 1.4.

If you are getting older like myself, it becomes difficult to remember which gear you are in, and changing through the box is trial and error...was I in 3rd, or 6th, am I now in 4th or is this fifth???????

It's a sloppy box too.

I think they have taken saving fuel, and cutting emmisions too far for a big car.

My current car has never, no matter how carefully speed wise I have driven, met even close to the MPG they say it will produce. Not even on motorway driving, and despite having it back in the dealership.......

so all i can do is take these figs on the 1.33 with a pinch of salt.

Can anyone comment on fuel efficiency on the 1.4 which this model replaced?

and does anyone else agree, about this gear box?

Mike

I have been driving makes of cars for 45 years and have never driven a car that achieves the mpg the makers say, the theory I have come up with is to work off the urban cycle anything over that is a bonus

The new 1.33 engine with the new 6 speed gear box in the Auris is now in the new Yaris iQ and Urban Cruiser.

Regarding the Stop/Start, just press the ECO Off button and drive like normal, no more stopping and starting.

The same with the 6 speed gear box, if you are having problems remembering what gear you are in then just don’t use the 6th gear, treat it as a 5 speed box, or get an automatic. That way you can just sit there and let the car do the work for you.

If you can remember to remember that on motorways and duel carriageways you have an extra gear, you may get close to the MPG they say it will produce :thumbsup:

If you can turn things off, then they must have anticipated that some people would not want them on!!!!!!!

Despite all this, all the new features, and the higher price don't seem necessary IMO.

The 1.4 petrol, did a good job as it was, so why change it?

Toyota have over engineered this model.

Increased the price,

and put more things into the car that can go wrong..........

Mike

If you can turn things off, then they must have anticipated that some people would not want them on!!!!!!!

Like headlights/heaters/air con/ CD/radio etc etc

Easy answer, don’t buy one :thumbsup: Stay with your 1.6 5 speed TR...

I have a long term average of 46mpg from my 1.4 petrol. Stated average is 40.9 so well pleased considering the weight of the car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links