Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Servicing Beyond The Warranty Period

Chris81

Well my t-sport is now approaching 4 years old. Up to now it's only ever been serviced at the main dealers but for the 4 year service they want £220. The car needs spark plugs and air filter and they had the cheek to say they'd only replace these if they needed changing, when the service schedule says that they must be replaced at this age. For that price, I'd insist that they were!

She mentioned something about stripping and cleaning the rear brakes as part of this service which obviously bumps up the cost but can't see any mention of it in the service schedule.

Basically, do you reckon it's worth keeping it Toyota or do you guys just go to a decent independent garage. Lets face it at the end of the day all any garage does at service time is replace the oil and filter!

Well my t-sport is now approaching 4 years old. Up to now it's only ever been serviced at the main dealers but for the 4 year service they want £220. The car needs spark plugs and air filter and they had the cheek to say they'd only replace these if they needed changing, when the service schedule says that they must be replaced at this age. For that price, I'd insist that they were!

She mentioned something about stripping and cleaning the rear brakes as part of this service which obviously bumps up the cost but can't see any mention of it in the service schedule.

Basically, do you reckon it's worth keeping it Toyota or do you guys just go to a decent independent garage. Lets face it at the end of the day all any garage does at service time is replace the oil and filter!

If you are a little technical and you have the tools and the nowhow i would say "do it yourself "

My Verso only had the first service at the dealer , and i,am doing my mates Verso 07 this Saterday ( 30.000km )

Oil + oilfilterchange

Plugring ( don,t now the englisch word for it )

Brake and clutch fluid change

the rest is check visual

I bought a new Yaris T-sport and the first service at the dealer the rest i,am going to do for my self B)

I do all my diesel servicing as it is now 6 years old. Piece of cake including checking rear brakes, changing disks and tiebars,change brake fluid etc.

All filters plus oil plus brake fluid cost £125.

Personally i think Toyota are out to rip people off.

I got quoted £298.51 for new front disc's & pads to be fitted inc the VAT. :o

Plenty of independent Jap garages out there. ;)

All Main dealers are a bit of a rip truth be told! Thankfully, with Jap cars... they're pretty simple, and there's not much to go wrong on the whole, so you don't need a dealer service IMO.

personally I use the garage at the top of my road, as they have all the equipment to do the servicing, and I know the mechanic, so I know I'm getting a straight up deal, usually costs me about a hundred and twenty for a years service, and that's for the works!! Unless of course there's something wrong, and the last time that happened was with my Punto when the clutchplate and gearbox decided to bite the bullet at exactly the same time, about 3 weeks before it was due for a service... but the less said about Fiat gearbox problems, the better methinks!!!

I do all my diesel servicing as it is now 6 years old. Piece of cake including checking rear brakes, changing disks and tiebars,change brake fluid etc.

All filters plus oil plus brake fluid cost £12.

I know it's cheaper and better to do it yourself but 'come on' the parts must have cost you more than that!

Oops!

Edited: £125...

I also changed gearbox oil for Fuchs fully synthetic (from GSF) in that price..

If you DIY the service book isn't stamped and alot of buyers like to see the stamps in the book.

When you trade it in by a dealer they never look , i have sold lots of cars to the dealers no one has looked in to it

If you DIY the service book isn't stamped and alot of buyers like to see the stamps in the book.

I don't think it matters all that much on cars older than 3 years, especially if you can produce receipts of the parts you've used, when i service the car(s) i just put the date, mileage and initials in the appropriate box in the service book. I also tend to use genuine parts where possible, and the parts which are not genuine are in my opinion of equal or better quality, e.g. flat Wiper Blades, xenon headlights and oil (full synthetic 5w 40) and more recently on the wife's 2001 yaris i used semi synthetic oil in the gear box instead of the usual mineral oil, and because i've done it myself i know it's been done to a high standard.

I don't think it matters all that much on cars older than 3 years, especially if you can produce receipts of the parts you've used, when i service the car(s) i just put the date, mileage and initials in the appropriate box in the service book. I also tend to use genuine parts where possible, and the parts which are not genuine are in my opinion of equal or better quality, e.g. flat Wiper Blades, xenon headlights and oil (full synthetic 5w 40) and more recently on the wife's 2001 yaris i used semi synthetic oil in the gear box instead of the usual mineral oil, and because i've done it myself i know it's been done to a high standard.

:P Same here ;)

Oops!

Edited: £125...

I also changed gearbox oil for Fuchs fully synthetic (from GSF) in that price..

When you changed the gearbox oil on yours did you use a torque wrench to tighten the filler and drain plugs? because i tightened them up on ours without one then decided to use one to check (set at 39Nm) and it felt like it was going to strip the threads. Maybe the wrench is faulty (it's only a cheap one and hasn't been used much before.)

Use Toyota parts. Keep the receipts and get your local garage to do the service and stamp the book. A decent local garage is as good, if not better than a dealer and a lot cheaper.

No I did not use a torque wrench. I just tightened them - by hand - until resistance felt. I would guess about 30ftlb.

I find fully synthetic gearbox oil makes the slight gearbox whine I had before almost disappear. The gearchange - before and after - is super... even when cold in winter.

I also signed the service book and keep all the receipts plus a full list of all jobs done on car since I owned it.

As I plan to keep it for at least 10 years, resale is not a major concern .. but after 5 years it becomes difficult to recall what you did and when.

(I also service my wife's car and my 2 sons' cars so a record is essential of what has been done)

Mine is out of warranty now so I intend to do it myself .

I will get the oil and filter from toyota tho as I'm not sure which oil to get

Its just passed its MOT :) , the guy at my local garage said that the Yaris will be easy to work on

Pete

I used Toyota semi synthetic 5-30W.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links