Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Would Tempt You Away From Your Rav

local hero

There apears to be quite a few contenders to the Rav title now, with cars such as the Quashquai, Tiguan, new CRV, Hyundai etc, I have been faithfull to the Rav for 13yrs now having owned a 4.1/4.2 +my current 4.3 but if i were in a position to be looking at a change there does seem to be a few faults + minor irritations coming to light, which other marques seem to have addressed I'm thinking of things like illuminated switches, Ipod connections, lift up /split tailgates, the runflat fiasco, longer warrantees, I appreciate some of the above will have been adressed in the new 2009 model, but what do you think? could you be tempted to look elsewhere + if so what might tempt you away? :thumbsup: Stew

This is my 1st rav, great little car but the CRV is on a par if not better in my opinion, only stopped buying one because of price, Honda did not start making Diesels CRV`s untill 2006, Got a very good price on my rav so went down the Toyota path.

This also is my first Rav having had various cars including two that I kept the longest which were Toyota Spacecruisers so I appreciate Toyota's reliability aspect.

Prior to the Rav I had 3 Audi's then two Skoda's. When the second skoda was written off I looked at mild off roaders like the Subaru Forester, Skoda Scout, Ford Kuga and Honda CRV.

The Honda didn't tick the look good box for me and our dealer was ignorant and not interested in spite of a cash sale.

The Skoda was very good but I couldn't get much discount as it was a new model and I had just had 2.

The Kuga was just out and again very little discount on a car that you would get a good discount on later.

Which left the Subaru Forester diesel and the Rav T180.

I got 5k off the list price of the Rav which had 1,200 miles on and was 6 weeks old. I was walking out of the showroom to go put a deposit down on the Subaru when the salesman agreed to a deal for cash.

The only other car that floats my bot is the new Skoda Yeti which is released shortley. I had a ride in one that did the rounds of the dealers and was impressed. I want a diesel, DSG auto gearbox and all the toys which can be done now with the Yeti. (The Scout doesn't have the auto option and didn't have the top level of trim).

So when/if I do change I will be looking at the Yeti as it is a bit different and the dealer near me is very good as sales and after sales service.

My wife had her Prius serviced whilst we were on holiday and they delivered it back to our drive all clean and tidy.... apart from they left the interior light on and didn't stamp the service book. Bit of a suprise as they are normally very good.

Hope this helps.

Regards

I wondered if the Yeti may turn a few people towards the Skoda brand. I too have been looking at the scout. I can get a brand Spanker OTR for £16100. There is something about the Rav that 'does it for me though' and I like my Toyota's. I suppose it all comes down to comparing like for like. The Kuga has a much smaller load space, as I think does the Tiguan.

I've had two 3 door RAV4's over the years but now they are no longer made by Toyota , i guess a Suzuki Vitara 2.4 3 door would be one of the only replacements on the road today.

Our Rav has been GREAT so far...

It's my first Toyota and absolutely love it... only problem is that it's now getting to small for us as we are expanding the family, well planning it and although 3 kid seats fit in the back of the RAV it is toooo cramped.... So unfortunately we're looking at getting a LC now...

But up untill now the RAV has been the best vehicle I have owned/driven....

There will be a tear in my eye when I hand our Rav over in Part ex....

Regards

Rob

B)

as long as you dont buy any french or korean sh11te,or LR wait that means sticking with your Rav,so be it,even though its not my car but my wifes its the most reliable car I know considering how much stick it gets,Ok the clutch has been a weak point on them but its been and still is a good car(for her)

I have absolutely no brand loyalty, and until the RAV, had a different manufacturer each time I have changed cars. 9 times so far, I think. No matter how good the car is, I have never contemplated getting the same model again. You only live once, and all that. No idea what I'd go for next, as I can't afford it at the moment, but it will most probably not be another RAV. That's not to say I have not enjoyed owning the car, because I have. Yes, there are some niggles (RFT anyone ... !!), but overall, it has been, and still is, a pleasure to own.

I like the look of the skoda yeti. I saw pics of the concept version while I still had my HR-V and thought then it would make a good replacement and now it is finally out, would look at it.

But ........ Still plan on keeping the RAV for quite a while as the only thing I don't like is the economy and will misc accept that :)

I keep blowing hot and cold about changing the car. It has been great and apart from a few warranty issues that I have pushed just to bring it up to date, the only thing that went wrong was those heater plugs and even then it made a valiant attempt to start (and eventually did) in minus 14C frost.

I am very interested in this new RAV and am waiting for a test drive that might just swing it. Now I know I'm going to take some flack here but I really like my mates new CRV and it is also due a facelift/revision in September. If I do change it might depend on who does the right deal and what comes out of the test drives.

If nothing shouts at me as being rather better than the one I've got I will be sticking to the original plan of keeping the red'n for a few years yet...............

its a choice between a Fiat 500 in white leather or a 1994 with 400hp, 2 seats and a rear view mirror to allow the p-assenger to spot polis.

I'll stick with the 94 RAVs thank you - no contest. Drove BMW Z3 today - nice but acceleration crap

My mate has the CR-V....I find they only look ok in black, but even then, I'm not keen on the double front grille (looks like one car plonked on top of another) and the plastics along the bottom of the car look a bit cheap (reminds me of when the mage the rover 200 series into a 4x4 with plastic on the bottom).

Don't do a more powerful version either B)

I like the look of the skoda yeti. I saw pics of the concept version while I still had my HR-V and thought then it would make a good replacement and now it is finally out, would look at it.

But ........ Still plan on keeping the RAV for quite a while as the only thing I don't like is the economy and will misc accept that :)

I wasn,t really aware of the forthcoming Yeti so i googled it + it looks very interesting, although i have seen conflicting pics, one showing a split rear tailgate which incorporates a bike rack + the other a normal hatch, both better than the Ravs rear door IMO.. also most models will be 2wd with 4wd as an option the spec seems very good with the 170 bhp "elegance" having everything you could dream of for about the same price as a std Rav at £21000, yes were i in a position to change i would give this a good once over, however I know they are a very good car now, but i wouldn't be wanting to flash my "SKODA" keys around in the pub.. :thumbsup: Stew

hi folks

what would temp me from my rav.....?

well,the suzuki vitara with its low range is really apealing...and good value,but it lacked a little refinement when i test drive one about a year ago.

quite a noisey engine,with very little torque from what i remember..similar to diahatsu terios.

considered a jimney recently,but way,way,way too bouncy,brill off road though

or keep with the toyota brand and go bigger,maybe a hilux twin cab but a couple of years old.....as land cruisers are a too expensive for my pocket...shame :( :( :( ,but would like a more serious off roader and all rounder,suzuki has the history for it.

and suzuki's can be lifted ,modded easier,have seen a few with at least 2-3" lifts

toyota has the strength and worldwide reliability though.

anyhow.....a house comes first,as still live at home ( not through choice).as houses are sooooo expensive in this area :crybaby: and cant afford to move out.

rambler

What would tempt me away.....

Most other makes have a better rear door... the RAV's one is so cumbersome in tight parking bays...You cant use it when your towing something to get things out of the boot...(getting my daughters saddle out of the boot whilst towing a horse trailer is a right pain....) :ffs:

A better warranty would be nice....other well know makers have 5 and 7 year warranties now.... :yes: :yes:

I find the Hilux/Ranger/L200/Navara double cabs suit my needs more now (bigger towing capacity than the RAV) and larger load area for all the stuff I need to carry around...(including my bike :D :D )

Not changing yet but looking around.............

Probably the Germans - I spoke for over 3 yrs about getting an X3 before I realised that the RAV did pretty much everything for 6k less. I would like proper illuminated switches, memory seats (auto coded to his and hers keys :)), and a lift-up tailgate though. Q5 was another contender but arrived too late for me, and same issue - by the time you add what you want, the price skyrockets. I also saw a Which report which listed Audi 29th out of 30th for reliability - whoops!

Desperately wanted to like the CRV - double sunroofs, sensible dashboard (hate the RAV's one designed to please 8 yr olds), lots of kiddie-friendly features :baby: - but it was noticeably noisier on the motorway which was an absolutely key criterion for us after the old RAV and its vibrations. Oh, and the extra 40bhp sort of swung it :naughty:

+1 on the X3.

I have been thinking about it for a while, and some niggles are just really annoying. If I could afford an X3, I'd probably go for it. We went for a RAV over the X3 to avoid the image going with it... So instead of being "b*stard plannet-killer in a BMW SUV" I am just plain old "b*stard plannet-killer". :)

(Not trying to be cheesy), but I really would miss this forum if I did jump ship.

Coming to think of it, (since we are daydreaming... ) I like the look of that new shape Lexus. RX, is it? :) Way too expensive and too impractical for me though...Still like it.

• 3 months later...
+1 on the X3.

I have been thinking about it for a while, and some niggles are just really annoying. If I could afford an X3, I'd probably go for it. We went for a RAV over the X3 to avoid the image going with it... So instead of being "b*stard plannet-killer in a BMW SUV" I am just plain old "b*stard plannet-killer". :)

(Not trying to be cheesy), but I really would miss this forum if I did jump ship.

Coming to think of it, (since we are daydreaming... ) I like the look of that new shape Lexus. RX, is it? :) Way too expensive and too impractical for me though...Still like it.

A few months ago i was in a car park, a very well dressed lady was aproaching her Lexus Rx next thing the lights came on the rear tailgate popped open + she put her shopping in the back she then got in the driving seat, I'm about to tell her the tailgates still open when it slowly descended on its own + gently clunked shut, i was so impressed, when passing a Lexus dealer decided to have a look at a 450h, Let me assure you at prices between £41000 basic + £60,000 This was just a pipe dream, Anyway I am now the proud owner of a 450h....Brochure!!! I was offered not a test drive round the block but a 48hr loan of a demo :drool: however my bottle went and i left sheepishly :rolleyes: now having read my treasured brochure, when Camelot decide to favor my 6numbers :yahoo: I can have Mark Levinson :unsure: 15 speaker hi fi with DVD player + 160mgb hard-drive, on board computer controlled by a mouse built into the armrest, on aproaching my car it will light up, the drivers seat will slide back the steering wheel will lift to give me easy access, then the memory seat, steering wheel interior + exterior mirrors will all adjust themselves, If i am going to crash, headrests will move foreward seat belts will tighten +the car will take evasive action all on its own.. If i do crash i will wake up hopefully surrounded by 11airbags + sidecurtains to protect me from breaking glass, i can specify SELF parking, lights LED headlamps (non of your xenon rubbish) which turn when you go round a bend, all this plus lots more +299bhp 0-60in 7.5 secs max 124mph and 47.1 mpg...Now the reason I didn't buy it..3 switches that on your return home can be set to, open your electric gates, turn on your house security lighting, and switch your TV on...seemed a bit of a waste on a 3 bed semi-detached.. :thumbsup: Stew

Well at least that would still be a toyota L/H(well kinda... Lexus is the flagship ot Toyota - if that is possible...)

Our Rav has now been traded in for our Landcruiser... I do really miss the handeling of the RAV however the space just wasnt big enough anymore... so wit a tear in my eye I said good bye to Big Red and traded her in for her bigger sister...

However when it comes to down sizing I will be looking at which ever RAV is on the market at the time as our 4.3 petrol beast was great....

Regards

Rob

B)

What are you like???

Look at this way, when it snows she will be pushing the electric boot lid and you will trundle past in the warm and that fella down the road with the Astra van would kill for your RAV.

You've done alright Stewpot and I am dead jealous of your pipes!!!

Well the ONLY car to beat my Rav would have to be a Overfinch :rolleyes:

lets see what Santa Brings :newyear:

Drove an XC60 last week.

Very good.

I would buy it instead of a RAV but it's about £8k more when specced up to Rav standards.

Great drive, nice engine (205bhp diesel auto) and interior is better than Rav.

But, pennies are important so will say with Toyota.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links