Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt

leek

Hi

Just bought a T reg 2.0TD with 297,000 on the clock. Now i've been told i need to change the tiimng belt and i need a full timing belt kit with tensionrs and springs and all! I've looked around and found timing belt kits ranging from £40 (generic kits) to £120 (toyota kit). What do i do? Has anyone changed a timing belt using a generic kit if so are they as good as the toyota one's and if so which kit should i go for? Because even tho alot of these kits state they can be used for a avensis some of the parts tensioners look different and as i can't see what the old tensioners look like i have no idea which is the correct generic kit.

So if anyone could advise me which way to go on this i'd be greatful. Plus there's a bit of a squeal when i'm just moving off is this the timing belt on the way out.

And how do u change them yourself is there an online manual?

many thanks

Hi

Just bought a T reg 2.0TD with 297,000 on the clock. Now i've been told i need to change the tiimng belt and i need a full timing belt kit with tensionrs and springs and all! I've looked around and found timing belt kits ranging from £40 (generic kits) to £120 (toyota kit). What do i do? Has anyone changed a timing belt using a generic kit if so are they as good as the toyota one's and if so which kit should i go for? Because even tho alot of these kits state they can be used for a avensis some of the parts tensioners look different and as i can't see what the old tensioners look like i have no idea which is the correct generic kit.

So if anyone could advise me which way to go on this i'd be greatful. Plus there's a bit of a squeal when i'm just moving off is this the timing belt on the way out.

many thanks

Hi mate, who told you to change the cambelt and why, does that person know when it was last changed? Why did you not find out about this before you bought it as you asked on your previous post about buying it. It needs to be changed when it is needs to be changed which is at 60,000 mile intervals and should be inspected at intervals before this time to make sure all is ok.

No offence but you don't seem very confident about doing a job like this and if that is the case don't do it, also you are well advised to changed the water pump as well which again is more money, do you have all the tools required? This job will cost you more than you paid for the car to get it done correctly so find out from the previous owner (your friend) exactly when it was last changed. If you do purchase a generic kit get one made by Gates or at least ask your local car parts shop for advice, a cheap kit at £40 i would not recommend at all.

Sorry to sound a bit negative but it is not the sort of job to tackle without experience, one mistake could wreck your engine! :o

Best of luck anyway, best regards .... Pete.

60 000miles / 105 000km OR 5 years is the change interval for timing belt. All the parts including waterpumpu from toyota is about 500€.

just buy a Timing belt from T including all the bits.

You can change the belt yourself

HOWEVER

the diesel pump requres timing... and if not set correctly = ur engine will not run.

beware.

Hi

many thanks

What was the outcome from this post as you didn't update us and as i have just read you post about the cheapest engine oil for the same car .......... ! :unsure:

To Leek,

Your putting your car through for its MOT. Your aware that your car has to have a smoke test, which involves reving your car engine a number of times too a high level of revs. You should really have your cambelt changed first before going for test not afterwards if it needs changing.

Sorry. I replied to another posting of yours regarding oil, unless your in the trade or friendly with your local car spares shop, good oil does not come cheap.

Always buy the best oil you can, especially with a high milage car & don't worry about the price.

Regards, Beagh.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links