Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Gearbox? Please Help !

bloodnok

Hi,

My daughter has just been towed in by the AA and it seems that the gearbox is dead !

I.ve asked around my local breakers yard, but no luck............Perhaps eBay ?

Her car is a an 02 reg, 998cc VVT and the engine number starts with 1SZ.

My question is which gearboxes can I look for .............Will it just be gearboxes from 2002, because probably they will have done the same kind of mileage, or was the same gearbox used in later models and if so what year can I go up to, so that I might get a gearbox that's done less mileage.

Thanks for any help you might give !

This site will help

http://www.toyodiy.com/

Find your model and look for the gearbox details.

IIRC French built cars have different gearboxes from Japan built and MAY not be interchangeable easily.

YOu can tell the country of manufacturer by the first letter of the chassis number (vin number).

Jap built cars start with a J. There are a number of different French letters, but any Yaris starting with other than J is French...

Hi,

My daughter has just been towed in by the AA and it seems that the gearbox is dead !

I.ve asked around my local breakers yard, but no luck............Perhaps eBay ?

Her car is a an 02 reg, 998cc VVT and the engine number starts with 1SZ.

My question is which gearboxes can I look for .............Will it just be gearboxes from 2002, because probably they will have done the same kind of mileage, or was the same gearbox used in later models and if so what year can I go up to, so that I might get a gearbox that's done less mileage.

Thanks for any help you might give !

http://www.deijne.nl or http://www.cartoyotaparts.com

This site will help

IIRC French built cars have different gearboxes from Japan built and MAY not be interchangeable easily.

Thanks for your replies.............Have only just been able to look back on this forum.

I entered the vin number and it came up with this............

Market

(multiple) Year

02/2002 Make

TOYOTA Model

YARIS Frame

SCP10

Vehicle characteristics

GRADE: TRSTD: TERRA TYPE ( -11/2002), STANDARD TYPE (12/2002- )

PRODUCT: FRP: PRODUCED AT TMMF

DRIVER'S POSITION: RHD: RIGHT-HAND DRIVE

ENGINE: 1SZFE: 1000CC 16VALVE DOHC EFI

TRANSMISSION: MTM: MANUAL TRANSMISSION

GEAR SHIFT TYPE: 5F: MTM, 5-SPEED FLOOR SHIFT

NO.OF DOORS: 5D: 5-DOOR

COLOR CODE: 199

TRIM CODE: FD16

But being pretty dim on mechanics, it doesn't mean a great deal to me...........Can any of you help me further.

I spotted one on eBay today....... here below

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003 TOYOTA YARIS VVTI 1.O MANUAL GEARBOX

Here I have a Toyota yaris vvti 1.o manual gearbox for sale.The engine code is 1SZ.The gearbox has been Tested in full working order befor removed.

The gearbox is in very good working order.Its don only 28,000 miles .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the picture in the ad doesn't look exactly the same as my daughters...........the linkage looks different

The damaged gearbox info is this below

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02/2002 TOYOTA YARIS (SCP10R-CHMRKW)

TRSTD FRP RHD 1SZFE MTM 5F 5D

Is there a number on our gearbox that would be helpful ?

The writing on the label on the top of the gearbox has been worn away and I can't make anything out on it

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
This site will help

Thanks for your replies.............Have only just been able to look back on this forum.

I entered the vin number and it came up with this............

Market

(multiple) Year

02/2002 Make

TOYOTA Model

YARIS Frame

SCP10

Vehicle characteristics

GRADE: TRSTD: TERRA TYPE ( -11/2002), STANDARD TYPE (12/2002- )

PRODUCT: FRP: PRODUCED AT TMMF

DRIVER'S POSITION: RHD: RIGHT-HAND DRIVE

ENGINE: 1SZFE: 1000CC 16VALVE DOHC EFI

TRANSMISSION: MTM: MANUAL TRANSMISSION

GEAR SHIFT TYPE: 5F: MTM, 5-SPEED FLOOR SHIFT

NO.OF DOORS: 5D: 5-DOOR

COLOR CODE: 199

TRIM CODE: FD16

But being pretty dim on mechanics, it doesn't mean a great deal to me...........Can any of you help me further.

I spotted one on eBay today....... here below

2003 TOYOTA YARIS VVTI 1.O MANUAL GEARBOX

Here I have a Toyota yaris vvti 1.o manual gearbox for sale.The engine code is 1SZ.The gearbox has been Tested in full working order befor removed.

The gearbox is in very good working order.Its don only 28,000 miles .

But the picture in the ad doesn't look exactly the same as my daughters...........the linkage looks different

The damaged gearbox info is this below

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02/2002 TOYOTA YARIS (SCP10R-CHMRKW)

TRSTD FRP RHD 1SZFE MTM 5F 5D

Is there a number on our gearbox that would be helpful ?

The writing on the label on the top of the gearbox has been worn away and I can't make anything out on it

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't been able to check on here since my last post due to family illness, but I'm on here again now, hopefully asking you to help me find a gearbox for the said Yaris.

I'm sorry I really don't understand some of the previous replies, they're too technical by far for me.

The Yaris is an 02 reg

998cc

1SZU.......etc engine number

VNKKV.....etc Vin number

I've seen a few 03 and 04 gearboxes advertised, but have been given conflicting info as to their suitability fo my daughters car.

The linkage appears to be a little different but I was told that could be overcome, but where the speedometer fits into our gearbox, there appears to be a blanking plug of some kind in its place on the later models.................One mechanic told me the blanking plug could just be taken out and and the sensor fitted staight into it...................Is this true.

Please help, we're stuck with one car now and so much running around back and forth to hospital etc.

Thanks in advance

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links