Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Problems

borodaz

hi, my gf's 01 yaris broke down today, the problem is as follows...

she said she could smell burning rubber and could not driver forward anymore, pulled over

she can drive backwards in reverse

she can select gears but as she goes to move forward the car sort of moves backwards slighty (asif the handbrake is on)

her father has said the handbrake seems a bit loose when pulling the handbrake up

whats your thoughts ppl ? any help appreciated, thanks daz !

I've seen the brake shoes on the rear drums on a Peugeot 106 lock up with a similar result: Linings became detached from the brake shoes and locked the wheels.

Try jacking up a rear wheel - with chocks under the front wheels and in gear to prevent the car moving - and take the handbrake off. try turning the rear wheel by hand - as if going forward. Try both rear wheels in turn.

If any difficulty moving, it could be the rear brakes as above.

The service schedule calls for rear brakes to be inspected every 20,000 miles. Has it been recently serviced and if so by Toyota or an indie?

I

I've seen the brake shoes on the rear drums on a Peugeot 106 lock up with a similar result: Linings became detached from the brake shoes and locked the wheels.

Try jacking up a rear wheel - with chocks under the front wheels and in gear to prevent the car moving - and take the handbrake off. try turning the rear wheel by hand - as if going forward. Try both rear wheels in turn.

If any difficulty moving, it could be the rear brakes as above.

The service schedule calls for rear brakes to be inspected every 20,000 miles. Has it been recently serviced and if so by Toyota or an indie?

I

hi, the car has full service history some toyota some not toyota, car has done 70,700 miles last service was at 66k miles.

ive just been up to the car, the back end is definatly locked up (as said earlier when trying to go forward, car pulls back asif handbrake on)

when in reverse they is a bit of pressure when trying to drive in reverse, only just drivable ( seems asif the brakes are locked on )

now you have mentioned the brakes i think that will be first to check, gf's dad has a friend who owns a garage so i will let him know, thanks !

Does sound like stuck brakes, my mates old Astra did this once and refused to move.

Only remedy is a rear brake strip down, possibly new cylinders aswell if they have leaked and new shoes.

I personally hate drum brakes with a passion! :angry:

well, the brake shoes have failed, i wasnt at the car when the back end was dismantled but the brake shoes where in pieces, everything was very very very rusty so , not a major problem but for a car 9 years old a bit disapointing

well, the brake shoes have failed, i wasnt at the car when the back end was dismantled but the brake shoes where in pieces, everything was very very very rusty so , not a major problem but for a car 9 years old a bit disapointing

Not an issue if it was serviced every 10,000 miles or every 12 months :thumbsup:

The rear drum brakes on the 1.0 and 1.3's often get overlooked by owners, with the disc set up it's easy to have a visual check at least with them.

This is usually the case, as they get old and worn, they can fail and hence lock the car, like what happened to you.

I take the wheels off mine and the drum covers and check them every year, hoover out the dust, clean them ect. Piece of mind then that all's well under the cover! :thumbsup:

Glad you got it sorted btw. :)

The rear drum brakes on the 1.0 and 1.3's often get overlooked by owners, with the disc set up it's easy to have a visual check at least with them.

This is usually the case, as they get old and worn, they can fail and hence lock the car, like what happened to you.

I take the wheels off mine and the drum covers and check them every year, hoover out the dust, clean them ect. Piece of mind then that all's well under the cover! :thumbsup:

Glad you got it sorted btw. :)

Is it just undo a few screws and off comes the covers, or is it a bit more than that?

Is it just undo a few screws and off comes the covers, or is it a bit more than that?

Take off wheel, drum pulls off.

You need axle stands and chock front wheels to prevent movement

and if you have no mechanical experience, get experienced help. Playing with brakes and mistakes = accidents.

With the rear end jacked up (best to secure using axle stands) and the front wheels chocked (or left in gear) and hand brake OFF, remove rear wheel and pull brake drum off, (if stubborn you can use 2 xM8 boltls to jack drum off).

Cheers I gave that a go earlier. The drums both came off without a problem. Only a slight build up of dust in there, the actual drums look ok. Cheers for the info :)

the car had been serviced when it should have all stamps are in the book, although some aint toyota so the drums may not have been checked when they should, but thanks for the heads up anyways :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links