Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing Audio Unit

nikwak

I have a Kenwood DNX5220BT fitted to my Rav4 (05 - XT3). In order to fit it, they had to put extension plates at the side to fill the gap left from the Toyota audio unit. I now want to remove this so that I can fit the iPod extension to the rear of the unit but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me instructions of how I would get in to the unit to slide it out and fit the extension?

Nick

I have a Kenwood DNX5220BT fitted to my Rav4 (05 - XT3). In order to fit it, they had to put extension plates at the side to fill the gap left from the Toyota audio unit. I now want to remove this so that I can fit the iPod extension to the rear of the unit but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me instructions of how I would get in to the unit to slide it out and fit the extension?

Nick

Hi Nick,

I fitted the exact same unit in my '05 RAV4 so on that basis, gonna assume yours is fitted like mine.  So to remove, all you need to do is pop off the silver trim cover on each side of the central dash section. No screws on these on the '05 model, just clip on and pull off if you get your fingernails or alternatively a credit card behind the trim and pull forwards towards you.

Once you have those off, you will see the mountings that secure the unit into place. Know you need a long nutdriver or socket extension to undo the 4 bolts that once undone will release the unit to pull out (watch out for dropping these. bit of bluetack on end to help the3 bold stick to the tool is a good idea).

Ignore the little plates at the side, they will not complicate matters at all (I am assuming yours are fitted like mine here B)  )

Not sure if you have decided where you are mounting the iPod, but as there is no need to see it or be able to access it when plugged into the Kenwood, I have found the little tray area by the drivers knees under the steering wheel perfect for just plugging in the iPod into the flying lead. Out of view from passers by when car attended and cushioned perfectly.

Good luck  :thumbsup:

Thanks Hoovie - will try this later and let you know how I get on - great stuff

Hi Nikwak and welcome to the club.

If Hoovie's method doesn't work, you could always ask a passing 'Hoodie'. Maybe you don't have them in Skye though ;)

Let us know how you get on - and if you need any translation for my reply. It looked ok when I typed it but looks a load of nonsense now  :wacko:

Hoovie

DISASTER! I got the extension fitted for the iPod (it is a genuine Kenwood part) but when I plug the iPod in - nothing! I get DISCONNECTED on the screen of the Kenwood but the screen of the iPod says Do Not Disconnect. If I try to connect it while I am playing something on the iPod I get the first 2 secs of the music coming thorough the Speakers but then - nothing!! What am I doing wrong?? I despair!

I would really appreciate your help with this

Nick

Let us know how you get on - and if you need any translation for my reply. It looked ok when I typed it but looks a load of nonsense now  :wacko:

I have put the audio and video inputs into the correct sockets at the back of the unit and then gone to the touch screen and selected iPod

FIXED! I went on to the Kenwood site and there is a software update that, when I had installed it, the whole thing worked.

FIXED! I went on to the Kenwood site and there is a software update that, when I had installed it, the whole thing worked.

Was gonna say "check for any updates"  :D

FWIW, I think - going by memory - I had to do an update on the iPod and that my current iPod (iPod Video 5th Gen? bought about 2 1/2 years ago) works fine but the previous iPod (iPod Photo, 2nd hand off eBay) did not.

How you finding the Kenwood? I am pretty happy with mine. Still finding new things on it even after over a year!!

Couple of niggles which don't really care that much about overall .....

The Sat-Nav routing can be a bit odd sometimes and can take a while to pick up the signals. Prefer the kenwoods Garmin-Based version to the TomTom unit I had before.

Never had the SMS part of the phone part ever working - meant to be able to read SMSes on the screen, but of the phones I tried, never did it (used a Nokia and various HTCs)

Was gonna say "check for any updates"  :D

FWIW, I think - going by memory - I had to do an update on the iPod and that my current iPod (iPod Video 5th Gen? bought about 2 1/2 years ago) works fine but the previous iPod (iPod Photo, 2nd hand off eBay) did not.

How you finding the Kenwood? I am pretty happy with mine. Still finding new things on it even after over a year!!

Couple of niggles which don't really care that much about overall .....

The Sat-Nav routing can be a bit odd sometimes and can take a while to pick up the signals. Prefer the kenwoods Garmin-Based version to the TomTom unit I had before.

Never had the SMS part of the phone part ever working - meant to be able to read SMSes on the screen, but of the phones I tried, never did it (used a Nokia and various HTCs)

I also have the Kenwood dnx5220 and had to have the nav board replaced under w'ty.

Other than that, it's great - and I'm thinking of fitting one to my other car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links